New BIOS but windows 2k does not start

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
stivx
New visitors - please read the rules.

I just updated the BIOS of my M/B Pcchips M577 to 030699r.bin and now when I set the jumper to master, Win2k does not start. The harddrive (seagate barracuda iv 40gig) is recognised by the bios and then there is a blank screen for some 10 sec and then there is a message saying that I should check the windows 2000 installation guide or the path cannot be found. Windows works ok when the jumper is set to the 32 Gb limit. but the blank screen between bios and windows start-up is still there.

I forgot to to say that I created 2 partitions on it. c: 8Gb and d: 32

Any help is very appreciated

if more info is required please let me know.
Last edited by stivx on Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Did you install Windows with the 32GB jumper on ?
stivx

yes i did and back then i also had the other version of bios 030699s.bin
KachiWachi
The New Guy

That's why.

The jumper needs to go back in, even though the new BIOS can now detect the full size of the drive on its own.

The only way(?) to fix this is to backup the drive, reformat it to the full 40GB, then restore the backup to the drive.
stivx

I am not very good at this but something I forgot to add was that I created 2 partitions on it. c: 8Gb and d: 32.

I have never done any backing up and then restoring so can you please tell me how exactly to do that?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Save all your important data to another device (diskette, second drive, tape, Ditto, Zip, LS120, whatever). This is called "backing up" your data.
stivx

would reinstalling windows do to trick? I really don't have the time to do a clean instal again
soupy
Absentee administrator

No, because you need to reformat to get the full drive capacity.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
stivx

when you say 'to reformat it to get the full 40 Gb' do you mean to also delete the partitions too?
soupy
Absentee administrator

Gone. Start from scratch.

You MAY be able to use Partition Magic, I'm not sure.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
stivx

Thanks to all for you help. When I have more time I will format the harddrive and start from scratch
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Wait a min...

You said you have C:\ = 8 GB, and D:\ =32GB...

In my book, 8+32=40...so what are you trying to do??? Be a little more specific please about that, what is installed where now, when you did the partitioning, etc...

Thanks.
stivx

Windows is installed on c: drive and one thing that I did not understand was why do I have to format the harddrive to get the full drive capacity when I do have it. I will change the jumper to master and reinstall windows and see what is going to happen.

Sorry I forgot to give more info in my first post.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Again...I'm lost.

In the beginning you said you had an earlier BIOS version. I'm assuming it did not recognize the full capacity of your drive, so you set the 32GB jumper to be able to use the drive on your system.

If that was so, how did you partition it to 8 and 32? I could see 8 and 24... I'm also assuming you didn't use a Drive Overlay...
stivx

Because the harddrive wasn't recognised I set the 32Gb jumper and then it was recognised (as slave). I partitioned it (c: 8 gb and d: 32, i got the full capacity) and installed windows 2000. I thought that now it will be recognised if I change the jumper to master so I tried but no luck. Not long ago I flashed the bios and used the one form this site and now when I set the jumper to master bios does recognise the driver but windows does not start.