Since bios update cannot install OS

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

This BIOS does not have the usual features.

Code: Select all

Item-status Bios Default     Setup Default    X  Y
STANDARD CMOS SETUP        NORMAL                                       LT 4
BIOS FEATURES SETUP        DISABLED                                     LT 6
CHIPSET FEATURES SETUP     DISABLED                                     LT 8
POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP     NORMAL                                       LT 6
PCI IRQ RESERVATION        NORMAL                                       LT 8
-----------------------    DISABLED                                     RT 4
INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS     NORMAL                                       RT 4
LOAD BIOS DEFAULTS         NORMAL                                       LT 10
LOAD SETUP DEFAULTS        DISABLED                                     LT 16
SUPERVISOR PASSWORD        NORMAL                                       RT 6
USER PASSWORD              NORMAL                                       RT 8
IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION     DISABLED                                     RT 12
EXIT AND SAVE CHANGES      NORMAL                                       RT 10
EXIT WITHOUT SAVING CHANGESNORMAL                                       RT 12
You'll notice that BIOS Features Setup and Chipset Features Setup are disabled. Also, when I look in "Integrated Peripherals" most of the HDD stuff is hidden. I'll try unhiding it.
jsurgeson
BIOS Newbie

Hi Nick

No go still the same, the more I read and play the more I believe it has something to do with this udma stuff but then I could be way wrong

Jeff
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Good luck with the unhidden version - you should be able to disable Primary Master UDMA.
jsurgeson
BIOS Newbie

Nick

thanks, have not come right yet but have been able to influence it to some degree infact i can get linux to almost not crash completely on install unfortunately you have given me a lot of options. :D

just a question should I still be flashing with /cc/cd? what are they?

will let you know how it goes

jeff
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

/cc = clear CMOS
/cd = clear DMI
jsurgeson
BIOS Newbie

Hi Nick

No I still cant come right basicaly the same as before, however I have changed the problem some what by changing settings a bit.

Whats interesting is that I have discovered that Linux does not use the system cmos settings to set up hardware but makes its own mind up using it own hdware detect software about hd size and geometery, and in the hdware detect part of the linux install it seems to be seeing the drive correctly as a Maxtor 41gb setting udma33 however it also has a setting in brackets of 4096?? chs1024 or something like that but the geometry report there is not correct for the drive. And if I do a text install as apposed to a gui install it reports that the geometry of the drive is incorrect.

I have come to the conclusion that no matter what you guys do in terms of bios patches will not enable this ata/133 harddrive to work ith this mb.

I think I have two options!
1. new mb
2. PCI harddrive card (maybe!)

Thanks to all for the help , sorry we failed

Jeff
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I assume you've tried different settings for the drive translation type in the CMOS setup - Auto/LBA ?
jsurgeson
BIOS Newbie

Hi Nick

Yes currently set to auto/lba however I have tried & auto/auto & user and defined as per hd spec.

Jeff
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Do you have access to another machine you could try the drive in ? I'm wondering whether MaxBlast has done anything to the geometry reporting. Also, if you can get the details of what Linux thinks, it may be worth asking Maxtor whether that's correct.

Still, you may get a better result for your application giving up and, as you suggested, using a separate UDMA133 controller which will let you get the best out of the drive. Just make sure it has an on-board BIOS! Trouble is, it takes up a PCI slot...
jsurgeson
BIOS Newbie

My other machine is a laptop so I canot test it on another mb.
Yes I have been trying to work out how to trap the scrolling text as linux detects hardware etc but being new to Linux have not quite worked it out.
its not like windoze were you can pause and then continue during boot up as Linux takes control of the machine, but I will keep trying.

I still think this mb is never going to work with the maxtor drive, maxtor make a point of saying the award bios ver4.51 is a problem and that capping limits etc do not solve the problem, so I think this particular bios and mb is a problem with the ata/133 hd.

I think you right at about £10 for a pci card it might be worth it considering my alternative is £100 for new mb, ram, cpu

jeff
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

jsurgeson wrote:I think you right at about £10 for a pci card it might be worth it considering my alternative is £100 for new mb, ram, cpu
Yes, and then you've got all these bits that almost make a computer so you buy another case and graphics card and before you know it you've got a 286, a 386, a few 486es, a P100, a K6-233, a K6-III-450, a Duron 800 and your wife's complaining. I know the feeling...
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

XT, XT-semiportable, 286, 386, 4 486s, 4 P1 systems, a PPro 200 and a P2-350. She isn't complaining, I just got her one of the DeskPro 166s.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

doh, more stuff hidden in another corner. add 3 486s and 2 P1 systems... Large attick 8)
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
jsurgeson
BIOS Newbie

Well dont I feel like a idiot, Nick first patch seems to work ok! well that is when you remove the dicky ram that is........
My mb & bios do not do a ram check and as long as the faulty ram was in second bank no indication on powerup.
If it went faulty while i was doing the upgrade I do not know but it worked ok with the old hd.
We live and learn....please do not think too badly of my ignorance and stupidity.

Thanks again for all the help.
Jeff
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

All's well that ends well, then. You aren't going to try the BIOS with all the features enabled ?