128 GB: 07/20/98-i430TX-W877-2A59IG0EC-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
helldriver
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi!

I just wanted to install a 45-Gig drive into the system mentioned above (Gigabyte GA-586ATX3, latest official BIOS (revision 4.0) - older BIOSes didn't recognize the only CPU that I had available), but as you surely have expected it didn't work: The system hangs during hard drive detection, and manually enetring the drive in BIOS setup doesn't solve the problem, too.
For now, support of disks larger than 32 GB would be enough, but I'm planning to run this system as a server so an extension of disk space will be neccessary really soon - and because of this I'm asking for a modified BIOS supporting as much space as possible (should be 128 GB) per disk.
I'd be very pleased if you could help me with this problem!

Thanks

helldriver
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Patched BIOS is at http://wims.rainbow-software.org/ajz/

Please report results.
helldriver

Thank you, but...

... the BIOS I found at the address you gave to me is for GigaByte's GA-586TX3 and not for the GA-586ATX3 (at http://de.giga-byte.com/support/dis586.htm , both boards are listed, so they really seem to be different models).
Anyway, I flashed the BIOS I downloaded from the mentioned website (yes, I know about the risks this can include). The system now freezes when I enter the "STANDARD CMOS SETUP" or "IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION" (it doesn't matter if any IDE drives are connected to the board - it freezes always when I want to enter these sections) - all other sections in BIOS setup work well, and since all IDE drives are set to "Auto" in the default settings, the system tries to detect its IDE drives during boot-up, and at this point it doesn't freeze with the 45 Gig drive connected.
The result: The system is working with the "large" disk (thanks a lot!!!), but the two BIOS sections I mentioned aren't accessible. As soon as I connect a >64 Gig drive to the system I will send you a new message, telling you if it works or not.
When I flashed the new BIOS, I told uniflash not to overwrite the old BIOS' boot block. Is it possible that the remaining problem can be solved by flashing again, including overwriting the boot block?

helldriver
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

The correct file is "(GigaByte GA-586ATX3).zip", not "GigaByte GA-586TX3.zip".
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

I wonder why some people aren't more careful, especially when they're aware of the risks involved. :?
helldriver

Ooops - I didn't see the files with brackets in their names on top of the page. Perhaps because I just started searching for GigaByte BIOSes instead of reading the complete page...
I'll try this BIOS when I'm back home (monday or tuesday); you will then receive a message if it works or not.

Thanks again,

helldriver
helldriver

Hi there!

I returned home earlier than I expected, so I could test the correct BIOS. The results:
- All drives are set to "Auto" in Standard CMOS Setup, so the BIOS detects the drives during boot-up. The drive that is now connected to the board (the 45 Gig drive I mentioned before) is correctly detected (brand/model, capacity, adressing mode and transfer mode are displayed correctly).
- IDE HDD Auto Detection detects three valid parameter sets (CHS, LBA and LARGE/Extended CHS), each with a disk size of zero. But when you multiply the displayed CHS values for each set and then multiply this with the sector size of 512 bytes, you get the correct capacity.
- At this time I'm running a quick Linux install; as soon as It is complete I will tell you if the BIOS is able to boot the system off the "large" disk.
- I don't have a >64 Gig drive available right now; as soon as I have one, I will tell you how the BIOS handles it.

Again thanks a lot

helldriver

edit: Installation has finished. The BIOS boots the system off the disk, so everything works fine now. Thank you, guys - and keep up your great work!
helldriver

Hello again!

I Told you I wnted to report how the patched BIOS handles drives larger than 64 GBytes. I just installed a 120 GByte Maxtor, and everything is running fine.

helldriver
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Thanks for the feedback, it's always appreciated.