Mouse Selection

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Hey All -

My Dad just gave me an optical Microsoft IntelliMouse® Explorer, which would tend to crash in use on his Mac G4 (USB mode).

Anyone have one of these...and how do you like it?

I would be using it in USB mode, since I don't have a PS/2 port. Currently I have a Logitech Serial Port 3-button FirstMouse™ M-MD15L-9F (SerialV) situated on COM1. (FYI, my USR Modem currently resides on COM3.)

Any advantages of using a Serial vs. PS/2 vs. USB for a mouse?

Thanks!!
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

PS/2 is best thing for mouse. USB causes problems in Windows 9x/ME when the system is heavily loaded (jerky cursor motion).
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
soupy
Absentee administrator

I love mine. (USB & WinXP) Serial is horrible for mousing, especially if you're a gamer.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Soupy -> What version of the IntelliPoint Software are you using? This came with 3.0, but I think 4.01(?) is out now.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that USB was better than PS/2...I'll have to look for the article. I would try that, it I could find and adapter plate with a PS/2 plug in it. My DFI supports PS/2, but just has a header on the motherboard.

I'm not a gamer, so that isn't a consideration. What makes Serial so bad when gaming?
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Serial has slow scan-rate of mouse movement. The best thing about PS/2 is that you can manually set the scan-rate up to 200Hz (AFAIK, in Windows 2K/XP Device Manager, some tool is available for Windows 9x/ME), which is better than USB :D
soupy
Absentee administrator

Yep, PS/2 is better than USB. I wanted to get rid of my keyboard and mouse IRQs, though. :)
KachiWachi
The New Guy

OK...well since the mouse does have PS/2 as it's main connector, I'll start looking (again!!) for a PS/2 edge card adapter with the motherboard cable on it...

I was looking for one new, but can't seem to find one...any hints??

Question: PS/2 runs on what bus...PCI?? Does it run off the Keyboard Controller Chip? I know the COM ports reside on the ISA Bus...
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

PS/2 mouse is usually controlled by the keyboard controller (or the chipset if the KBC is not a discrete component on the board).
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Thanks Rainbow...I thought I remembered that from another discussion on another BBS... :D

Might have found a PS/2 motherboard cable...waiting for a reply from the company (in Canada). Will post results here for those who may need one in the future.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Something else I was just reminded of...PS/2 will work in DOS where USB won't... 8O
soupy
Absentee administrator

True.

(Also, my USB keyboard works in DOS with legacy support enabled in the BIOS, but won't work in Uniflash. :P)
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

UniFlash uses its own keyboard handler - so the legacy support does not work properly. Most probably it works only at BIOS level, although many chipsets support hardware emulation of real keyboard on ports $60 and $64, which should work with UniFlash too.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

For BIOS Legacy Keyboard support...

Right now I have the motherboard USB turned off because I'm using an Adaptec DuoConnect USB1.1/2.0/FireWire expansion card to fix certain problems with this first implementation of chipset USB.

I would assume the legacy support would only apply to the chipset (i430VX) USB...correct?
soupy
Absentee administrator

Correct. USB legacy support did not work when the keyboard was plugged into my USB2 PCI card.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

I haven't seen any i430VX BIOS with option to enable legacy support...