Gigabyte 6ba and bios patcher

Don't ask how to over-clock.
electrofux
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

recently i have bought a powerleap CPU upgrade for my Gigabyte Ga 6ba mainboard. But i need to patch my BIOS. I heard from other users with the same mainboard that apple_rom's bios patcher is perfect for my situation. I have downloaded the bp-4rc_F.exe file and have my bios file ("6BA.F1") at hand.
Can anybody help me through the correct procedure.
What happened so far is that when i put both files in the same directory an entered "bp 6ba.f1" in DOS i get hte error that "bp" is not an existing command. When i enter "bp-4rc_F 6ba.f1" i get "error 0012 no more fitting files".
Do i have to download cbrom.exe and the other two files too to get this working. I read in the readme they are already integrated.
And is it right, that when the process is completed, i have to flash my bios with the same bios file (which has probably been altered during the process)?

Greetings
electrofux
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Thje extra files used to be integrated but I think more recently apple_rom kept them separate. It is worth trying...
electrofux

Hi,

i now have bp-4rc_F.exe, cbrom.exe, modbin.exe and lha.exe together with my BIOS file in the same folder. But the same happens when i type
"bp-4rc_F 6ba.f1 /s" ie i get the error "error 0012:no more matching files".
Damn, i know this patcher is the thing i need but i can't get it working and my new CPU is getting old. I even ordered a new Bios Chip from UK but this lead to a non booting system. That's why i am back to the bios patcher.
Are there still any files missing?

Greetings
electrofux
KachiWachi
The New Guy

What CPU are you trying to patch in?
electrofux

Hi,

the CPU is a 1.4 Ghz Celeron (Tualatin). The correct name of the complete powerleap upgrade package is "PL-iP3/T 1.4GHz (Tualatin) CPU Upgrade (for 100MHz FSB)". My Mainboard is a Gigabyte GA 6ba. I have read about at least one guy with this cpu-upgrade who has successfully patched his bios with apple_rom's bios patcher.I just don't know how to get this thing working. I now have the BIOS file ("6ba.f1") the cbrom.exe, lha.exe and reall.cod and the patcher in one folder. When i run it i get "error0004 too many open files"- at least something different that before.

Greetings
electrofux
apple_rom
Use my patch at your own risk!!

From readme.txt:
Notes:
1. In the directory with parched file must be:
cbrom.exe (rom.by/Award/patcher/cbrom.rar)
lha.exe (rom.by/Award/patcher/lha.rar)
reall.cod (rom.by/Award/patcher/real_microcodes.rar)
2. Patch file, which is referenced in the command line
(when starting BP), i.e. nor what other "new" will not be created.
3. If patcher some points did not find, this be not bad -
- after all basically searches mistakes, but once they not found,
signifies their simply no.
4. Must be >512kB of free RAM for correct runninig patcher.
electrofux

Hi,

i now have those three files plus my bios file in a directory. I then type "bp-4rc_F 6ba.f1 /s" from that directory in DOS and still get "error 0004: too many open files". Something is going wrong. How can i check if there are more than 512k Ram free under Dos. Maybe my boot disk loads too much stuff. :!: :?:
Maybe someone can check bios patcher with my bios. It can be found here: http://tw.giga-byte.com/Download/Downlo ... 6ba_f1.exe
That would be great as i just don't know what to do next to get my cpu running :?: :wink:

Greetings
electrofux
KachiWachi
The New Guy

What OS you doing this under?

If, lets say, Win95/98, you should boot to "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only" so nothing is running. Command "mem/c/p" should show you with about 552K Free in Win98SE.

Otherwise you could make a boot disk from, lets say, DOS6.22 and boot from that...result should be similar, if not more free.
electrofux

Hi,

i am using a 98-boot disk to get into DOS. I'll try the safe mode option and check the available RAM. The error "too many open files" most probably means that there is not enough RAM left. :idea:
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Yeah...the boot disk runs other stuff...

So I'll assume you have Win98 on the machine in question...just hit the "F8" key after the "Boot Summary Screen" shows itself and choose option "#6"...that should get you going just fine.
electrofux

I had no luck. I have checked the memory when at the DOS prompt with my boot disk (592k free) and i tried the safe mode option. I always get "error 0004 too many open files".
Maybe something is wrong with the cbrom.exe i have, because i have downloaded it from a different place (the link on rom.by doesn't work) and changed its name as it came as cbrom130.exe. Same with lha.exe.
Does it matter how the bios file is named because in all the examples on rom.by the bios files are named "xxx.bin" at the end?
There must be a way to this going. :?: :?
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Try with a bootdisk with CONFIG.SYS like this:

Code: Select all

DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=EMM386.EXE RAM
FILES=30
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Hmmm...did you unpack those files you downloaded (CBROM, etc...)? They might be self-extracting ZIP files...
electrofux

Hi,

yes i have unpacked them and as they came out as cbrom130.exe and lhaXXX.exe i have renamed them to cbrom.exe and lha.exe. That shouldn't be a problem.
I wil try the config.sys as rainbow recommended.
apple_rom
Use my patch at your own risk!!

Why you try patching under DOS? I make all under Windows (XP, 98).
Patcher at work open more files - try Rainbow recomendation (but best increase FILES to 100).