Equivalent BIOS ROMs

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Fencer128
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

A while back I was toying with the idea of setting up a business on the side to do the kind of bios reprogramming you so often see nowadays. I managed to get all the information I needed apart from a couple of points - incidentally which stopped me from proceeding.

1. Is it really necessary to stock a very varied range of 100% compatible ROMs (within a certain pin number and package, etc) to cater for the various ROMs found on mobos's (we're talking a couple of hundred here). How do the other companies get away with it - do they really stock nearly all makes and models?

2. Where can you source small numbers of these ROMs (1000 isn't that practical!) Some are fairly easily available - but many of them are extremely tricky to find - and virtually never in small numbers.

If anyone could help I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,

Andy
Denniss
BIOS Guru

The most compatible brands with 128 and 256KByte capacity are Winbond/SST and maybe Atmel (29C020/29EE020/29C010/29EE010)
Should be the same with 512KByte chips but there are standard flashroms and Firmwarehubs for Intel chipset based mainboard existing with this capacity
Fencer128
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for your response. Could I ask if you - or anyone else - has anything more specific to say regarding my 2 points?

Thanks,

Andy