123GB: 11/13/1998-i430TX-W83977-2A59IA1BC-GP

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
gpslover
New visitors - please read the rules.

I looking for a Bios Update for the Abit AX5 board to support the 123.5 Gb IBM Deskstar 180GXP IC35L120AVV207-1

The installed bios as follows;

Program: Unicore BIOS Wizard Version 2.01
Program: eSupport.com Chip Detect v0.80 2003.02.20
BIOS Date: 11/13/98
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 11/13/1998-i430TX-W83977-2A59IA1BC-GP
BIOS Eval: GREEN PCI/ISA SYSTEM
Chipset: Intel Triton 430TX rev 1
Superio: Winbond 977F/AF rev 0 found at port 3F0h
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Rainbow's patched version currently only supports up to 64GB. I'll look at fixing that....
gpslover

NickS wrote:Rainbow's patched version currently only supports up to 64GB. I'll look at fixing that....
I´m looking forward to it I hope you can fix this
Cees
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Have you received it ? Sent yesterday at 10:02 a.m. to the email address you gave here.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
gpslover

Yes Nick I did receive your mail and file. I hope the weekend will give us bad weather so I can test it. The problem is that I tried Disk Manager 2000 before and need to get this uninstalled.
In the meantime I updated the FDSIK from MS as you suggested.
For the /MBR switch, I suppose, I should use a bootdiskkette without the DDO (Dynamic Drive Overlay). Is a bootable diskette from an other PC without DDO ok?

Also you wrote me:
- we recommend you clear the CMOS ( take notes of how it is set up first if you want) after flashing - use /cc and /cd switches with the Award flasher.

I suppose this is before I´m going to flash the BIOS with your modified file or is this something else.
Cees
gpslover

I followed the process as suggested in the mail.
First get rid of the bootmanager 200 by fdisk /mbr following the update proces with awardflash /cc /cp. It left one block blue near the end in the progres signs, what means not updated! Is it normal ??
After the flash I update (via DEL) the settings. It result in a hang in the standard cmos setup and also in the auto HD detection. So probably I needed your patched one with bp (What´s bp?)
Cees
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

gpslover wrote:I followed the process as suggested in the mail.
First get rid of the bootmanager 200 by fdisk /mbr following the update proces with awardflash /cc /cp. It left one block blue near the end in the progres signs, what means not updated! Is it normal ??
That one block is the boot block and will not normally be updated unless there is a change to the bootblock (in which case you will get a "boot block mismatch" error on trying to flash).
After the flash I update (via DEL) the settings. It result in a hang in the standard cmos setup and also in the auto HD detection. So probably I needed your patched one with bp (What´s bp?)
bp is a utility written by apple_rom (www.rom.by) which patches a few more bugs than rainbow's awd64gb. However, we know less about how it works and have less experience with it, so we are only now starting to use it. I will send you that version in a minute.
gpslover

Ok everything seems to be working again. Some remarks;
-For the CMOS settings during startup it is not possible to set the user options. CHS are highlighted but cannot be changed. So I had to choose for "auto"
-During boot time it shows the correct settings of LBA 123 Gb UMDA 2
-Unless updating from MS, Fdisk is is missing the rightmost digit in displaying the partition and disk sizes. 123000 Mb becomes 11779 Mb and should be displaing 117796 Mb and so on
also it ends with a line with one character "%"
Therfore I use Partion Magic 7.0 for the partitioning and formating. Norton Ghost brought back my backup from the old disk.
With Boot magic I´m able to choose the bootable disk.

Nick, Thanks for helping me to get it working, Cees
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

fdisk has a problem with drives >64GB a 70GB drive will show as 6GB etc.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...