Armada 6500 DVD-Rom in DEC Hinote Ultra 2000??

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Kellogg
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a Digital Hinote Ultra 2000 laptop. It's a great little system for its age and I use it constantly for dialing in to work, E-mail, scanning, and working with images using Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop.

I've seen comments on Compaq's website and elsewhere that the Armada 6500 is esentially a clone of the Hinote Ultra 2000.

I therefore purchased an Armada 6500 DVD-rom hoping to use it on the Hinote. Unfortunately the Hinote BIOS seems not to recognize the DVD-Rom drive. Shortly after booting with the DVD installed it says, "non-system disk mounted" as if it thinks the DVD-rom is a floppy drive. In addition the open-tray button is inoperative.

I am using V1.07 of the Hinote BIOS, the last upgrade available for that platform. Since the Armada 6500 and the Hinote Ultra 2000 are so similar I am wondering if I could attempt to to flash the Hinote with the Armada 6500 V1.54 BIOS which , I presume, supports the DVD-Rom.

The BIOS says it is made by Digital and I don't know what file name to use for a BIOS file on a recovery diskette should the Armada BIOS not work at all.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I courting disaster?
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Don't flash the BIOS unless you have a way to fix it if it fails (which is very hard to do because most notebooks have the Flash ROM chip soldered on the system board).
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere