40GB: 05/28/97-VT82C580VP-USB--2A5LAL1AC-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
danijel11
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi again. I've been browsing through the forum and I saw that the people
put their original bioses to the pages, so that moderators can download them and upgrade them. I've decided to do so too.
My bios is on: http://chem.pmf.hr/~dkordina
I've put it directly as index.html, because I've had some problems with linking file for download :cry:
Just rename it to bios.bin
I hope i get it right with awdflash /sy, if not please tell me how to do it. :oops:
Please moderators upgrade my bios so that I could use my new 40 Gb disk :)

Thanks.
Danijel
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

The BIOS is:
05/28/97-VT82C580VP-USB--2A5LAL1AC-00
Pentium BIOS REV:3.0 PLUG & PLAY BIOS

It's a LuckyStar board, but which one :?:
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
danijel11

I belive it is a Lucky star 5v2 VT5099A "Pegasus"
Could someone please tell me how to disable flash protection on my mbo.
user manual is in http://oldman.ixbt.com/mb/LS_5V-2/VT5099A.html
but it is in russian, and I don't understand it :cry:

The awd812 displays this : bios checksum not 0 ...
then unkown flash type.

uniflash displays:
chip(first line) unknown
then the second line displays did you remove protection.

How to remove it?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

The picture shows a JROM1 jumper next to the flashrom - might be the bootblock/Flash protect jumper
danijel11

Originaly jrom jumper was 1-2, i've puted it to 2-3, boot system with diskette and run uniflash, same message again.Next I removed jumper, and left it open, same mesage again :( .Maybe in combination with some other jumpers, or maybe some other standalone,who knows, if only someone knows russian good... Thanks Dennis, if you have some suggestion more please tell me :) anyone too...

By the way I also have an atc 1020 mbo, can I put bios from 5v2 pegasus onto atc and flash it :) :) will it work? Or better not to play with it. If it goes how can I take bios out from the mbo,with what 'handy' tool? :)
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

It could have been the 5V/12V jumper 8O
Peel the label on the chip back to determine what type it is e.g. 29F01xxx, 28F01xxx.
I use a flat-bladed screwdriver or a PC slot blanking plate to remove the ROM chip, keeping the chip horizontal. I assume that it is in a socket....
danijel11

I've removed label and read: AMTEL
AT27C01(last digit unradable it could be c or 0) 70PC

When I removed bios from the mbo (thanks NickS :) ) on the bottom of the proc was : 6B1294 - 34016F
1TAIWAN-U 6B9647

and that's it :) well should I try hotflash with atc1020 or should I build up
eprom reader from www.zws.com, i calculated parts price ,and it's not too expensive for me, but I'm not very good in schemtics , if someone have somthing like this , but explained little more in common language, a picture and step by step soldering would be good :) :)
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

That is not a flash chip, it's an EPROM. Do you have an EPROM eraser ? Is there a window on that EPROM, or is it One-Time Program ? If the latter, you might be able to replace it with a 1 Mbit flash EEPROM and hot-flash it.
danijel11

Well the window I presume is a 'hole' on the chip for uv erasing I think.Nop there is no such thing , the chip is composite black,and I belive it is a one time program. How to replace it with 1Mbit flash eeprom.
Question : I have burned manli board soc370(been replacing cooler, and scratch the mbo , and the mbo burned down 8O ) but the bios could be in a good shape. Or should I buy an eeprom chip or maybe a bios from atc1020 could help it (i'm not using it anyway)
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Well, I do not think you will lose anything by trying the EPROM from the burnt board. Peel the label to find out what type it is - 28Fxxx needs 12V to flash and 29Fxxx needs 5V. Then see what the ATC1020 uses.
danijel11

Thanks NickS I'll try it :)
sulbert
Master Flasher

danijel11 wrote: user manual is in http://oldman.ixbt.com/mb/LS_5V-2/VT5099A.html
but it is in russian, and I don't understand it :cry:
There is no information about the JROM1 jumper on this page.
danijel11

Thanks Sulbert, could you please translate whole page, that is the only manual on the net!!! Thanks in advance :) :)
sulbert
Master Flasher

OK, I will give it a try... But it will take some time as my Russian language skills are quite limited...
danijel11

Hi everyone I've managed to hotflash a bios! :) :) .I took a bios from old dtk pI board from my friend , hardware procedure i used from rainbow :)
software from Apple Rom's BP,it worked fine :), and then uniflash from Rainbow.Rainbow and Apple Rom you are an excellent programmers! :lol: .Well I hotflashed a bios from hdd, not from diskette , because as soon as i disconected everything but diskette , suddenly the system reported floppy error (80) , I frightened , but as soon as I returned everything to the place and turn comp , the same message again! (on atc1020 with original bios!, dtk was destroyed mechanicaly) And on my pegasus board also happend the same message!
I don't know what is this , could anyone help, I've tried everything(before with original one time prog. eeprom, and now with flashed from dtk),swapping diskette drive, using another cable, even an old isa ide controller with fdd cont onboard , nothing! :? what it could be?
By the way a chip from mani soc 370 mbo didn't work fine I belive it is a 2mbit chip, it returned error...

Sulbert : I hope you'll manage to translate it, it would meen a lot to me :)
thanks. My email is dkordina@hotmail.com

P.S. Thanks everyone on this forum for their help :) :) :) :) :) :)

If someone would need a original and patched bios I'll put it on the web.
Original is still on http://chem.pmf.hr/~dkordina/index.html
just rename it to bios.bin the lenght is 131072, it would be still on for some 2 days.
The patched one that is working i'll put after on.