GA-6VXE7+ DEAD???

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
snommis
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have done a bios update on the above mentioned mobo, but my pc will not boot. when powered up, there is 2 or 3 short beeps followed by a long one. After that nothing happens.

I have heard from a friend that if i remove the bios chip from the board, that it will be reset to default, and that everything should work ok. i am yet to try this, but want to know if this actually works.

Thanks in advanced...
mittern8
BIOS Newbie

snommis wrote:I have done a bios update on the above mentioned mobo, but my pc will not boot. when powered up, there is 2 or 3 short beeps followed by a long one. After that nothing happens.
Make sure what exactly the beep code is and look it up, maybe it's something about your display adapter.

I have heard from a friend that if i remove the bios chip from the board, that it will be reset to default, and that everything should work ok. i am yet to try this, but want to know if this actually works.
To do a CMOS clear it's unnecessary to pull out the chip!
Just ...
  • Unplug power cable from outlet.
    Look up the location and setting for CMOS-clear jumper in the manual and set it to clear the CMOS.
    Set the jumper back to normal position.
    Plug in power cable and power up the PC.
If there is no such jumper (unlikely) you have to take out the battery while the PC is unplugged and wait for some 30 minutes up to some hours until the CMOS is cleared.

Manfred
no blood for oil!
stop the bushfire!
snommis

thanks for that.
mittern8
BIOS Newbie

Success!
:wink:

Manfred
no blood for oil!
stop the bushfire!
snommis

unfortuantly this hasen't worked. i have changed the the cmos jumper and put it back and there is no difference. my system still won't boot.

i have discovered that the 1st set of beeps means that the is a problem with the video card, but i have 2 vga cards and they are both working in other machines. as for the 2nd set of low beeps, and cannot find anything on that.

is it possible to remove the bios chip and put it back?? will that fix the problem?? i have heard that it can, but only from 1 person. i would like to have some reassurance on that.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Removing and replacing the BIOS chip will only make any difference if you replace it with a different chip (e.g. from www.badflash.com) . It sounds as though you may have flashed a wrong/corrupt BIOS and the BIOS that is now in there cannot find a way of talking to the display.
Do you have any facilitites available to you for re-programming or hot-flashing (see the "Collected Wisdom")

Does the machine look at the diskette drive ?

When you used the jumper to clear the CMOS, did you make sure that there was no mains power to the machine ? I.E. unplugged or turned off at the wall ?
snommis

No i don't have any way of reprogramming. what is hot flashing??
i'm not sure what you mean by "Collected Wisdom"

Machine does not look for disk drive.

no mains power was connected when clearing the cmos.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

snommis wrote:No i don't have any way of reprogramming. what is hot flashing??
i'm not sure what you mean by "Collected Wisdom"
I guess you didn't read The Rules, then. The FAQs are at the main Wim's BIOS site www.wimsbios.com .
Also, if you look at the index page you'll find the Collected Wisdom forum. In there you'll find a reference to "how to Hot Flash" with a link to Rainbow's instructions.

Other things to try in desparation:
- Try pressing the F1 key after the beeps and see if that results in any diskette activity
- Check that the CMOS battery voltage is OK.
If you've got no way to reprogram the chip (including hot flashing) I guess you're looking at a replacement BIOS (or another motherboard). Sometimes you can find an old motherboard cheap or being thrown out which can be used for hot flashing.
snommis

Other things to try in desparation:
- Try pressing the F1 key after the beeps and see if that results in any diskette activity
- Check that the CMOS battery voltage is OK.
Pressing the F1 key made the 2nd lot of beeps repeat.
the battery is ok.

i think im up for a new mobo. :( i don't know of anywhere local where i can get a replacement bios.
capisi

Like was mentioned in earlier post on this thread see the folks at http://www.badflash.com. They can reprogram your chip or you can purchase one from them and they'll program it and send it to you.
snommis

ok, thanks for all the input and all the help guys.

:D