6GB: Packard Bell PC

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
cmk
BIOS Newbie

I've a machine here which is a Packard Bell PC running Phoenix Bios 4 release 6. The ID tag is 4M4UE0X3.11A.0003.P03 and the machine is running an Intel Celeron 300. The Bios date is 1998.

The problem is it's got a Fujitsu MPC3064AT hard disk in it which is supposed to be 6gb but only reporting 2gb It's been fdisked thinking that when it was last done back in April whoever did it didn't allow for the large disk support.

All roads are pointing to a 2gb disk (bios, windows, fdisk) so I'm starting to scratch my head now. I'm wondering if it could be the bios and the machines in need of an update. Trouble is I can't find one anywhere.

Also the owner has said that they're sure it reported more than 2gb before April but now it's not and hasn't been since then.

Help seriously appreciated please.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

It's OEM version of Intel MU440EX board http://www.intel.com/support/motherboar ... p/mu440ex/ (the 2xAGP version). The BIOS is new enough to support HDDs over 2GB. Make sure you have HDD jumpers set correctly.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
cmk
BIOS Newbie

Since my post I found that site and was sorting out the bios upgrade. I've not done one as yet. I was actually thinking it should work ok as is because I've another machine here which is about the same age, maybe older, and that's got bigger disks in it.

Looking at the HD though the only jumper settings I can find are for Master, Slave etc. There aren't any others.

Could the bios have had a bit of a fit and if so would an upgrade help matters?

Any help gratefully received.
cmk
BIOS Newbie

Sussed it!! From what you said I started to think about the jumpers. The numpty who worked on it before me had got them upside down. :roll: It now sees a 6.4gb disk.

Now to try and get the OS back on it.

Thanks for the help.