120GB: 11/26/97-SiS-5597-2A5IIJ19C-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Iain
New visitors - please read the rules.

I just installed this new Seagate disk in one of my machines. I've already got >8GB drives, so I knew that I wouldn't run into the 504M, the 2GB, or the 8GB drive limitations. However, on initial installation (attempting to set up as Primary Slave, 120G) the machine froze.

I uninstalled the drive, spotted that there is a jumper option to limit it to 32GB. I put on the strap, and now it's recognised (but limited to 1/4 of its capbility).

Then I started to look into what was causing this new limitation? Though reading through this BB and other sites makes me think it is BIOS-related, what is not clear is how to fix it.

One site mentioned that Award is now owned by MSI, and that there is an upgrade tool at their site. But that upgrade tool only seems to want to update my video BIOS. (Is that perhaps a hint that my system BIOS is not flashable?)
Last edited by Iain on Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I'm afraid I don't recognise that ID (2A5IIJ9C). 2A5II means SiS5597 chipset; after that there should be 4 more characters, the first two being the manufacturer. For example, if you had a "1" missing, 2A5IIJ19C, that would be a Jetway/J-mark board, probably J-TX98.
Please take a look at that ID, and also give us the message that appears in the top left under the Award logo on the memory count screen. Have you checked the top surface of the board itself for markings ?
The MSI utility probably recognises that it's not an MSI board. Award is owned by Phoenix, not MSI, and their BIOSes are sold to all manufacturers.
Iain
New visitors - please read the rules.

You are absolutely correct: And I know how it happened too: The subject line of the BB only takes a certain amount of characters. It stopped at the 2A5IIJ, and when I deleted some previous text to make room, I continued typing from the wrong spot. Sorry:

It certainly is a 2A5IIJ19C-00.
There is absolutely no labelling on the board.
It most definitely is a TX-98. I remember the labelling on the box when bought, and of course, now I know it's relevance, I see the reference in the information on the line below:

Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG : V.TX98 A2.0 11-27-1997

Thanks for the information regarding Award/Phoenix. You certainly seem to be a fountain of knowledge. (Do you know anything about Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero 4wheel drive transmissions too? :-) )
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

A patched version will be on its way for you to evaluate (at your own risk)shortly. About Pajero 4WD I know nothing, but I'm learning more than I want to about maintaining my daughter's Citroen AX. :? ( I thought that was what boyfriends were for).