Promise controller ultra ATA/133 does not recognize 160GB

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
sanjayoflucknow
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a Pentium II 350 with Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG in it.
It also reads on the screen Pentium II AGP/PCI/ISA System BIOS Rev:1.0 (#20540) with Windows 98 on it.

The id is: 03/12/98 I440bx-W977TF-2A69KB3EC-00

I purchased Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Card to install New Maxtor Hard Disk 160GB (8MB,7400). Card got installed and when I attach hard drive and it senses there is Hard Drive (But it looks like it senses only 32GB).
Then it hangs saying.

I thought I could use this drive because of limitation on motherboard so I bought Card, Still no help.

Any pointers!!!

Will be appreciated.
soupy
Absentee administrator

On drives that are larger than 32 GB there is a Capacity Limitation Jumper (CLJ) or the Alternate Capacity (AC) Jumper setting. This jumper will limit the capacity of the drive to 32 GB and should only be used when the BIOS hangs when trying to auto-detect the drive. If you have two jumpers shunts on the drive you will need to remove the CLJ or AC jumper.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
sanjayoflucknow

I think I tried using CLJ, did not work(I will try again). I assume there is no BIOS limitation in terms of using PCI IDE cards. I have a master Drive of 20 GB. Master Slave is empty (Could not use 160GB on this one as limit is 32 GB). so I was trying to configure this on PCI IDE card. I think My motherboard speed is 100MB.

In fact without this Card, 160GB I partitioned in chunks of 32GB. It was working OK. But I want to do partition minimum of 40GB on 160GB so i bought ultra ATA/133 Card.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

- Did you use any manufacturer supplied utility (dynamic disc overlay) to help set up the drive ? If so, you may have to use the utility to restore the reported drive size and you may have to remove any disk overlay software that it installed.
- Are you sure that the controller card BIOS supports >128GiB drives ?
- Once that is sorted, don't forget the FAT partition size limitations.
sanjayoflucknow

Yes I did use DDO (And sorry for posting same e-mails twices This happened becoz Rule said post mail based on capacity/bios number and so I did it). Now how to take it out ?

1.Maxtor Ultra/133 PCI Adapter Card features
Up to 133 MB/sec data transfer rate
Works with most ATA UDMA 133/100/66/33 devices
Supports drives larger than 137GB

Let me start with summarized details.

I had two Maxtor Hard Drives (8/20GB - 8 for Master and 20 for Slave) and both were configured Master/Slave on Primary IDE. Then I bought Maxtor 133 160GB Hard Drive and took 8 out and put 20 for master and so did format/loading Windows 98 on 20GB. After This I tried to install 160GB in 40GB partitions with Windows XP as on it. Did not allow me to do so (Hangs). So I re-partioned it in 32GBs and so hard disk was sensed and I was able to create/update the files in all partitions of Disk2. Then I tried to Install XP but could not install on one of partitions (Somewhere It hangs probably in deciding the size of HARD Drive Disk2). I gave up and bought Maxtor Ultra/133 PCI Adapter Card. Now my config is 20GB on Primary Master IDE. I want to put 160GB on PCI Card so that I can access this big Hard Drive.

After installing PCI Card and hard disk on PC, in booting process it senses the Card (I have installed this PCI Cards Drivers as well) and then It senses Hard Drive attached but marks capacity as 32GB(infact 31GB). Now it hangs.

And if I take out connection between Hard Drive (Disk2) and PCI Adapter Card (it senses card is there but not hard disk so does intialize/load BIOS for Hard Drive or whatever ) it goes ahead and boots using C: Drive (windows 98).

That is my whole story.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

(Returned from holiday)
At what point did you install the DDO (EZ-BIOS)?
To restore the reporting of full size, you probably have to go through the EZ-BIOS de-installation procedure, see here. If this does not work, try contacting Maxtor tech support, and please let us know what their answer is.