120GB: i440BX-DD-2A69KD49C-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
slepax
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey all,

I have a new 120G SeaGate HD (mode 5). At first, my bios did not recognize this drive at all so I've downloaded a bios update from DFI (after the update the bios date 26/10/99 and instead of i400BX-CD I have i440BX-DD on the bios id). Now the HD is recognized however system fails to startup at the system summary screen.

Is there any newer bios? I've downloaded the latest from DFI's site yet it is of no help.

Would appreciate any help ...

Thanks,
Ronen
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Clear CMOS by jumper. See manual.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
slepax

After the reset I got the following message on startup:
CMOS Checksum Error - Loading Defaults

The disk is recognized however it is still stuck on Summary Screen. :(

Isn't it related to the problem of disks larger than 64GB? Isn't it a problem that the HD is mode 5 and the bios supports up to mode 4?

BTW,
In the summary screen, the BIOS detects the HD as "LBA, UDMA 82" (I set the LBA manually).
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Is you DFI model number P2XBL ?
Please post your model number and revision letter (if any) .

Looks like 64GB BUG

Please post your full Bios-ID with your new Bios !

You might have to look into the DFI Beta sector to find a never Bios
slepax

but for most posts the BIOS string was enough so I thought on this one is also ok...

Anyway, the board is "DFI P2XBL Rev A", it is written on the board itself.
The new bios ID is as I wrote in the first thread: 10/26/1999-i440BX-DD-2A69KD49C-00
I don't know if it relates to anything, but it still says v4.51PG on the initial screen.

One of the pages in this site offers some beta BIOS files, the closest BIOS bin file I could find is DFI P2XLX_E.zip, but I don't want to take the risk and mix something that does not belong.

I read about the 64GB bug and it looks just like it, boot halts on the summary screen. But I have already upgraded to the latest DFI available BIOS (http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/P2XBLAK.ZIP) so I can’t see what more I can do.
You mentioned something about a "DFI Beta Sector", can you explain some more, maybe even a link or direction?

Thanks,
Ronen
georgep
BIOS Rookie

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/ ... TUS_FLAG=B

then click on the Beta Site link, wait for the next page to load, and then choose your motherboard. There is a BIOS for your board/rev that says "Recognize 40 GB HD", but given the date of the BIOS, it likely will also recognize HDs over 64 GB.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/BBXA01021.zip

01/02/2001-i440BX-FD-2A69KD49C-00

Should support up to 128GB HDD

Award flashprog might complain because of changed Bios-ID as DD changed to FD (might be some kind of internal revision number) - ignore this warning or use Uniflash
slepax

Worked like a charm, the BIOS recogonize the HD as 120GB UATA/100 and my Linux installation is on the role as we speak ... :D

You're the master (both primary & secondary)

Thanks a million,
Ronen