60GB: 2a6ing5ac

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
lutaco
BIOS Newbie

No dear friend I think it's impossible because both are board soldered,non socketed.Perhaps as a last choice I could try to unsolder the chip and try to hot flash it, but in this case maybe I would need a board like BCN in620.Would'nt I ?.What is your advise ?

Thanks

Luis
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Nick - he said his chip is soldered onto the board in an earlier post. (Oops...he just posted that again as I write this...) :roll:

Did he ever verify to you that in fact his board was what he says it is (BIOS Agent data)? I didn't see that in the text anywhere (he said "looks like IN620 BCM"...but was it??).

2 BIOS chips?? Doubtful... I couldn't tell from the picture where the chip is located (I think he is confusing the parts)...anyone have a better pic of the board??
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Ah, I forgot the soldered BIOS chip. Tom's Hardware review criticises Soltek for using an "old-fashioned" socketed 32-pin chip on their KT600 board. Personally, I think that was very smart.

This becomes difficult. With a soldered DIP BIOS chip you could possibly cut the "CHIP ENABLE" line and put another BIOS chip on top to allow you to boot the machine. With a switch on the CHIP ENABLE you can have a BIOS Saviour (tm) style solution. With a soldered PLCC BIOS chip this is not so easy, but it may be worth examining the board to see if you can, and find out whether you can get another chip to put the BIOS in.

If the BIOS is correctly flashed but does not suit the machine, there will be no checksum error to put it into BIOS recovery mode. Sometimes you can force a checksum error, with skill and persistence, by shorting a data line to ground while the BIOS is checking itself.

If you know someone who could remove the chip he/she probably knows someone who could program it. If you can get a socket easily and cheaply ask him/her to install one !
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

KachiWachi wrote:Did he ever verify to you that in fact his board was what he says it is (BIOS Agent data)? I didn't see that in the text anywhere (he said "looks like IN620 BCM"...but was it??).
I'm beginning to wonder... how many boards use 2A6ING5AC ?
2 BIOS chips?? Doubtful... I couldn't tell from the picture where the chip is located (I think he is confusing the parts)...anyone have a better pic of the board??
I think he's talking about the other board (that he tested the CPU and DIMM) also having a soldered BIOS chip, so he can't hot-swap them.

@lutaco:The other board for hot-flash does not have to be identical, just compatible.
sulbert
Master Flasher

NickS wrote:Tom's Hardware review criticises Soltek for using an "old-fashioned" socketed 32-pin chip on their KT600 board. Personally, I think that was very smart.
Gurus@THG wrote:Hopelessly outdated: BIOS Flash chip in TSOP package
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry for offtopic, couldn't resist...
KachiWachi
The New Guy

KachiWachi wrote:Did he ever verify to you that in fact his board was what he says it is (BIOS Agent data)? I didn't see that in the text anywhere (he said "looks like IN620 BCM"...but was it??).
NickS wrote:I'm beginning to wonder... how many boards use 2A6ING5AC ?
Dunno...I would hope just one board...that's the idea of the ID string...right??

His DIMM might not have been fully recognizable in the other board, hense the diminished capacity...

lutaco - Don't feel bad...sometimes the flash can appear to go fine, but in the end you end up dead. Could be a bad chip, or who knows...not necessarily your fault... It sounds like you did everything right...

Soapbox time - In general, I'm tempted to say that before someone flashes their BIOS, they should make sure they send in a copy of their current BIOS file, the full "BIOS Agent" data, or the full ID string, just so it is known exactly what they have...an extra step, but could save alot of future headache... I would hate to tell someone to do something and then be wrong for whatever reason...you know?? (Not that that happened here in this case...)

PS - how do you make the quoting work right (first time trying that here...)? <-Thanks NickS :-)
Last edited by KachiWachi on Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmstacey
New visitors - please read the rules.

Sorry to steer this just a little ot for just a second. But I know i have the in620 board that came with my monorail computer and I need a patched bios for it so it recognizes my 40gb WD hard drive.... I tried a untested one from a guy on these forums but that didn't work.
Any help is apreciated.
Thanks
-Jon-
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

sulbert wrote:
Gurus@THG wrote:Hopelessly outdated: BIOS Flash chip in TSOP package
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry for offtopic, couldn't resist...
That's the review I meant - and they don't know the difference between TSOP (Thin Small Outline, as used by RAM chips on DIMMs) and DIP.

@kachiwachi - you say [ q u o t e = " T E X T " ] (without the spaces, obviously), close para with [ / q u o t e ] and you get TEXT wrote:

@jon: please just use the other thread. (Please zip and email your original BIOS for us to look at)
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

For the connoisseurs:
Lutaco sent me the BIOS he saved before the flash. It's:
06/22/1999-SiS-620-2A6ING5AC-00
BIOS VER:1.02 (21102)

and patches with AWD64GB at exactly the same addresses as the VER:1.03 for IN620
11/15/1999-SiS-620-2A6ING5AC-00
BIOS VER:1.03 (21102)

See also
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=360
kallango
New visitors - please read the rules.

lutaco wrote:Hi friends

I flashed my IN620 2a6ing5ac wit BCM IN620 in UNTESTED patched bios but I wasn't lucky. I read ¨ flash suscessful¨, but when I restarted the board didn't boot and a DIMM memory was broken.I lived on risk and I lost that's the way it is. Now is there anything that I can do?, the bios ship is board soldered,and the board does not boot so I can't use a floppy drive and so on. I did not flash the boot block.We have to be brave!

Thanks

Luis
Hello Luis...

Just Yesterday i have to format and re-install the sistem in one of this mother board... And I have the same problems...

I fix that by instaling a PCI VIDEO CARD and then i see that a BIOS Defaults find some BOOT disk on Floppy Drive... Soo, i use another machine to prepare a diskete with win98 boot and awflash software and a file to update that BIOS...

I Found this BIOS Update here .: http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/IN620/IN620.htm

It works with me and I Hoppe that informations helps you too...

[]s