AWARD Boot Block BIOS Problem

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
DynamiteD
I didn't read the rules

Good Day to all... sorry just to barge in, with a problem as a first post.

A BIOS ROM checksum error kicks in, exactly as the computer is switched on. It detects the floppy.... ( with the awdflash.exe) loads the award programm.... but then it doesnt give me keyboard access to type the filename of the BIN file... present on the diskette.

I tried adding an AUTOEXEC.BAT with the

AWDFLASH 6AJR4B02.BIN

as the only text in the file.

However, it still doesnt read it. It just gives an error:
Source File Not Found

I tried Hot flashing, but i dont have a Mboard bios which matches with it.
My Mainboard is a Chaintech 6AJA4.

( obviously i tried Clearing the Cmos, removing the battery for a month! and still .. it wont budge...)

Can anyone help? I would like to ask:

Is there a default filename for the BIN files.. so it finds them automatically on the diskette root?

My disk is CLEAN, no command.com or anything... just AWDFLASH.exe , autoexec.bat and the Binary file.

Im really torn apart here... as this problem is really hardcore hardware.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Make sure you typed in the filename correctly and the file is not marked as Read-only or Hidden
Please use /py and /sn as additional parameters behind the filename
soupy
Absentee administrator

Next time, don't triple-post or hijack threads. :evil:
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
Goofy
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

Since i have about the same problems at the moment, i'd very much like to know if you have solved it, :?:
if so, how :?:

Greetz

Goofy
Riggs

I have exactly the same problem with an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe and an AWARD BIOS. My disk is bootable, I have the right bin, awdflash.exe and an autoexec.bat with the correct line. But when booting, the computer just loads the flash utility without reading the batch file...and I have an error message saying that the file is not found. That's very frustrating. Please help me if you can...
Rhapsodium

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem with an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe.

Please Help!! :?: :?:
soupy
Absentee administrator

For an Asus board you should NOT be using the generic Award flasher.

You should be using AFLASH.

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/BIOS_FLASH_UTILS/
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

soupy wrote:Next time, don't triple-post or hijack threads. :evil:
Looks like the other posters can't read :lol: :lol:
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Asus nForce2 Board require standard Award flash program - Asus offers specific version as they must have a very recent version number
soupy
Absentee administrator

Denniss wrote:Asus nForce2 Board require standard Award flash program - Asus offers specific version as they must have a very recent version number
Dammit, you're right.
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/english/ ... flash.aspx
Rhapsodium

Solved problem :D
Thanks to Dennis and to soupy by the ideas!.

The keys to overcome the problem have already been indicated, but I detail my experience for if even somebody has the same problem with the ASUS AN78X deluxe. (excuse my precarious english)

Problem:
I had already upgraded successfully the bios of my A7N8X deluxe several times using the last version of Awdflash (v8.24B), obtained in http://www.asus.com/support/download/it ... X%20Deluxe . For some reason the last time the flashing process froze before being completed and the bios was corrupt. However, the Boot Block seemed to work correctly and before attempting an Hot flashing I attempted the method that DynamiteD and Riggs explain, nevertheless I was presented the same problem that to them.

Solution:
The process worked correctly when I used a different version of Awdflash (v8.23). The one that I found in: ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/S ... ce2/A7N8X/

The used bin file was the AN8D1007.bin obtained in http://www.asus.com/support/download/it ... X%20Deluxe , and in the autoexec.bat I put the following line:
@Awdflash.exe an8d1007.BIN /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /LD

The key was the change of version of Awdflash, but by suggestions in the forum I before had made a couple of changes that maybe are also indispensable:
1. The boot disk should be created on Windows 9x or DOS. Specifically I use one of DOS 6.22
2. I made sure that the files in the diskette were not read-only

THE END