40GB: 12/16/97-VP3-586B-W877-2A5LEF09C-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
KennySouPk
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a computer that I am building for my nephew using parts left over from my current computer and from a previously used working computer. All the parts worked in their respectively former systems.
I have a motherboard that has the string 12/16/97-VP3-586B-W877-2A5LEF09C-00 at the bottom. The motherboard uses an AMD 266-333 CPU and has on the bootup screen Award Modular BIOS v4.51pg Version 1.11JB13 . I am using Windows 98 and a Maxtor 40GB hard drive.
The 40 GB Fireball 3 ATA/133 ball bearing motor HDD drive was recognized at the first time it was put in, but now, no matter how I install or reinstall it, it keeps freezing up the system when detecting the drive during the CMOS and on regular bootup.
I can't seem to find a site that has the BIOS upgrade or patch files for flashing the BIOS. The FIC website only brings me back to the WimBIOS site that doesn't have files on that site itself. I know I need an award bios program to use on a floppy boot. I also need the one or 2 files during the flashing to do it, I believe. Any help will be appreciated.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

If the system seems to run OK with the HDD I would suspect your drive is giving up.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

According to your Bios-ID and your Bios OEM Message 1.11.JB13 you have a FIC PA-2012 mainboard

The latest Bios seems to be this one :
ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bios/s ... -2012/y2k/

If it does still hang with your HDD it needs to be patched
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Yes, it needs patching.....done. In fact I had already patched a 1998 BIOS for PA-2012, I don't know why :?
Check the "Untested" link for a BIOS you can test.

As usual:
- you flash at your own risk
- read and follow the flash utility instructions.
- we recommend you clear the CMOS ( take notes of how it is set up first if you want) after flashing - use /cc and /cd switches with the Award flasher.
- remember that you *may* need to run the HDD manufacturer's utility to reduce the transfer rate of a UDMA66 or UDMA100 drive to UDMA33. See the post "links to ATA mode setting utilities" in the "Collected Wisdom" forum at WIM's BIOS forums.
- if you have already used Disk Manager, EZ-Drive or similar, getting rid of it may be VERY hard. You will probably have to "fdisk /mbr", repartition and reformat the disk and maybe run the manufacturer's utility to reset the disk size.
- remember that FAT32 in Windows 2000 does not allow single partitions over 32GB in size - an operating system which supports NTFS partitions is required.
- remember that for Windows 98 an updated FDISK is required from Microsoft to handle disks over 64GB in size. FORMAT may also have issues displaying the correct size but should work.
**Please note that to simplify the automatic patching process, the disk capacity display has not been patched and the capacity may not be displayed correctly in the configuration report screen or CMOS setup. For example, a 120 Gbyte disc could show as 2139 Mbytes.
- If the drive is detected OK but the system hangs on entering CMOS set-up, a work-around is to disconnect the HDD, make the changes in CMOS set-up and save, then reconnect the HDD. Please tell us if you have to do this.

**Please report success/failure to Wim's BIOS forums.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
janpopan
Chip off the ol' block

Hello,

I have patched this Bios, befor Rainbows Tools was redy ;-)
1.13JB154 (02/23/1999)

It has Only Support up to 64GB ...

MfG
Jan
for 32 GB+ Bios look here

http://www.jan-hill.com/bios.html
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

janpopan wrote:Hello,

I have patched this Bios, befor Rainbows Tools was redy ;-)
1.13JB154 (02/23/1999)

It has Only Support up to 64GB ...

MfG
Jan
Oops; sorry, Jan, missed that. :oops:

@KennySouPk: Bear in mind the business about UDMA transfer rate.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
KennySouPk
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks all. It really helped me out. The patch was just what I needed to get system running fine. Nephew will enjoy his present. Kudos to you all :D
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Thanks for the feedback!