40GB: 08/10/1998-i430TX-P5TXBproC-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
DiskUser
New visitors - please read the rules.

Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
P5TX-Bpro Ver 2.2 07/28/1998

The system does not boot when the HDD is tried to be initiated. No matter which values I take for Heads, Cyls, Sectors etc. Only when I chose the option "none" in "Standard CMOS Setup" for no HDD attached, the system is booting without any problems. Please help me :)

Greetings

Jan

PS: If you can give me a patch that allows me to use HDDs even bigger than 80 GB it would be very usefull for the future. :wink:
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

That's an ECS P5TX-BPro, download site is http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/p5tx_bpro.htmlThere is a version 4.1 BIOS, a later version than the BIOS you have, but it is unclear from the site which version of the board this is for.

Version 3.2 says "For PCB 3.x and later versions with LM78,LM75, and chassis instrusion detection"

Version 4.0 says "Taking out LM7x function".

I think it is probably safest to patch the 2.2 BIOS, as your board appears to be version 2.x. Can you check on the motherboard for a version number ?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
DiskUser

On the board it is written P5TX-B Rev. 2.0

Greetings

Jan

PS: Would it be possible to patch this BIOS for using a 300 GB HDD? I do not want to use a 300 GB HDD, I just want to know if it is possible.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

At the moment we can only patch it to remove bugs that stop it working from 34 GB (32GiB) up to 137 GB (128GiB). To support bigger than this you would need to buy an add-in card.

I will patch the 2.2 BIOS and post it at the "untested" link in my signature in a few minutes.
DiskUser

Sorry, but it does not work. I flashed the new Bios using Aflash77, a flashing tool from ECS. It successfully flashed the BIOS and after reboot, the splash screen shows the BIOS string with "128 GB patch" . But when i choose "Standard CMOS Setup" the Bios hangs when it tries to show the first HDD (which is a 80 MB!! HDD). The only way to get out off the BIOS is Ctrl-Alt-Del. And if I choose Auto detection It hangs when it tries to show the first HDD, too and the only way out is a reset.
Any ideas?

Greetings

Jan
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

yep, there's another way to patch the bios with the apple_rom bp patch. I think NickS will put up that version when he sees your message.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
DiskUser

That would be very kind.

Greetings

Jan
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Coming right up- just give me a few minutes (sorry, I had a busy weekend).