5.2GB: 12/09/97 i430TX-NS309-2A59IQ1IC-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
tomox
New visitors - please read the rules.

5.2GB Fujitsu MPA3052AT being recognised by BIOS as 2.1GB.
BIOS ID:12/09/97 i430TX-NS309-2A59IQ1IC-00
OEM Sign On P51430TX/ATX Titanium IIb BIOS v2.1S 12/09/97

The motherboard manufacturer has pointed me to his upgrade page with 3 upgrades on it but has not indicated which I should use.

I used the version 2.1S supposedly dated sometime in 1998. It reported a successful flash but my system still shows the original date.
There is a further reference to a version 2.3sl for version 2 motherboards and this refers specifically to large disc support.

My question is - can I safely use the version 2.3sl or am I restricted to the version 2.1 which does not appear to have any effect?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

According to the QDI page, you should be able to use that 23sl (v2.3)BIOS.
It is surprising that your current HDD is not recognised as 5.2GB as the comments on the download page suggest that your BIOS should support up to 8.4GB.
In the CMOS setup page, are your HDD parameters set to Auto or are there cylinders/heads/sectors specified ?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Possibly that Fujitsu drive is reporting itself as 2.1GB in the bios. Have had a similar issue with a 10GB drive reporting as 8,4GB no matter what. I have entirely stopped using Fujitsu drives and I'm not recommending them either...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
tomox
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for that - If I set the disk manually using the parameters supplied by Fujitsu the opening screen reports it as a 5.2GB drive - however Windows ME hangs on loading. If I alter the BIOS to LBA then on start-up it always reverts to a 2.1GB and then allows ME to load.

I have bought a Western Gigital 40gb drive to rteplace it - that currently isn't being recognised at all - hence my question about BIOS versions. However it is reassuring to know that the 2.3sl BIOS upgrade should be safe - and I'll give it a whirl.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

That BIOS won't support a 40GB HDD, but the patched version available soon at the "untested" link in my signature should. If you'd like to try it, please give us feedback.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

In an email, tomox wrote:Thanks for that - successfully flashed the BIOS using the untested file from your site. BIOS reports correct size of disc and can load a basic DOS set-up and copy files to disk. Cannot seem to load Windows ME - it hangs when it gets to copying files from CD-ROM needed for set up but feel that's a completely different issue I need to sort. Only problem was that when it did a pre-installation check it told me that the free space was incorrect and required me to allow it to correct it before I could continue.

I suspect my problem now is that to allow me to start I am booting from an old ME Recovery disc and that Windows 'thinks' there is a version already on the disc.

The original FUJITSU disc was still being reported as 2.1GB - but the Western Digital is being correctly recognsed as 40GB.

Postscript: reformatted harddrive and booted from CD-ROM. ME is now installing as I speak.
Thanks for the feedback !