80GB: 7/5/2000 i440BX-483977-2A69KA1UC-TH

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Thora
New visitors - please read the rules.

after using the latest BIOS Update (for 4.51 PG) from Abit (be6_th.bin) the 80 GB is only recognised as a 32 BG HD by the BIOS, but still not recognised by the OS (Win 98 SE).
I connected to the UDMA 66 Port, UDMA Drivers are installed, Drive is UDMA 133
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Checked if your HDD has the 32GB clip on?
Thora

There are two Jumpers to select the HD as a Master. I removed that one, that is also the one for the 32 BG Limitation. No changes, but the BIOS recognises now a 52264 MB HD
Thora

:oops: Sorry, but its a 120 GB HD and there`re still 68 GB "missing" :oops:
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Strange... we at Wims tend to use a couple of utilities. Both confirm proper support for HDDs upto 120GB.

Utility1:
"BIOS already supports HDDs over 32GB & 64GB - Nothing to do!"

Utility2:
"4. 32Gb-problem : not found."
"5. Some HDD detect-problem : not found."

Of what brand and possibly model is your HDD? Is it set to AUTO in your Standard Setup in BIOS?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

You said you connected it to the UDMA66 ports - do you have an additional controller OnBoard or as PCI card ?
-> Please try your HDD at the OnBoard chipset IDE-Controller

Edit :
It seems Abit has a Beta-Bios based on TH but wit a newer Highpoint ROM (your integrated UDMA-Controller)
http://fae.abit.com.tw/download/beta/be ... 6th128.exe
You might need newer drivers if using the UDMA-controller with the new 1.28 ROM
http://fae.abit.com.tw/download/beta/be6/driver/1.28/
Thora

Dear deniss,

using your link of the UDMA controller the system told me. that a newer driver is already installed (i instealled the UDMA 66 driver from a disk that ABIT packed by the mainboard).

So i tried this and it worked out (dont know why?):

1. Flashing the Bios to the be6_th.bin (Downloading be6_th.EXE via google, because link from Abit didnt work)

It is indeed a BIOS by highpoint, version 1.25; after this flashing a new screen showes up during the booting and tells you, the HD is 52 GB Pio 4)

2. Installing the UDMA Driver for UDMA 66 from Abit disk -> HD detected by the systemmanager, not by the explorer

3. boot from the Win98 SE disk and made two partitions 7 GM as a primary active DOS Patrtition and a 45 GB (!) extended partition) -> detected the two new drives by the explorer one with 7 GB and one with 108 GB (indeed 116 GB)

4. Copied the newer FDISK (no changings with the new one could be done, expecially no Partitions over 52 GB !) and FORMAT from my old HD
5. Formated the new drives (shown as d: and s: - the ones you cant show via DIR!)

AND VIOLA:

2 new drives
Denniss
BIOS Guru

The Bios thg128 I linked has a newer Bios for the Highpoint UDMA controller integrated - maybe this Bios is better for big HDD as the mainboard Bios does not seem to have problems with 120GB HDD
Thora

Hi Deniss,

should i flash the highpoint beta bios from your link?

The UDMA controller of your link is an earlier version than the one that came with the MoBo. I tried Yours and the istallation routine told me that a newer driver already exists.

Thx

Thora
Denniss
BIOS Guru

To state clear :
This Beta Bios is a Bios for your mainboard .
It is based on the latest official Bios but it includes a newer Bis for your Highpoint UDMA Controller (Controller-Bios integrated into Mainboard Bios) .
It may solve the wrong size detection with your HDD .

Maybe it's not needed to install newer drivers