40GB: 09/07/1998-i440LX-W83977-2A69JSHGC-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
codebutcher
New visitors - please read the rules.

Problem with 40 gygabyte ExcelStor hard-drive (BIOS hangs at detection of HDD) on this configuration:

BIOS Date: 09/07/98
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 09/07/1998-i440LX-W83977-2A69JSHGC-00
OEM Sign-On: INTEL 440LX3 REV 1.5 (FOR W-02)
Chipset: Intel 440EX/LX rev 3
Superio: Winbond 977TF rev 0 found at port 3F0h
CPU Type: Pentium II
CPU Speed: 333 Mhz
CPU Max: 333 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 128K
Memory Installed: 64 MB
Memory Maximum: 128 MB
Memory Slot 01: 32 MB
Memory Slot 02: 32 MB
Memory Slot 03: 0 MB
Memory Slot 04: 0 MB

I found a patch at http://wims.rainbow-software.org/index. ... 0&count=40
Before updating BIOS, I would like to know if anyone has tested this, or if other patches that are known to work are available. Thank you in advance.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

If it is on that list, it has been tested on at least one motherboard with one make and one size of HDD. I don't have the details on that one as I didn't patch it myself and Rainbow probably handled it direct. If you try it please let us know how you got on.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2258
It looks as though it was tested with a 40GB Maxtor.
codebutcher

i'm really unexperienced with this kind of issues... is it normal for an old BIOS not to detect at all (it simply hangs) a drive that is bigger than 8.4GB? i'm asking this because a lot of people keep telling me that their REALLY old mainboard/BIOS detects a big (>8G) HDD (sees it as a 8.4GB HDD though). do i have to worry about another problem? (i guess i'll find out this evening when i'll upgrade the BIOS...)
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

codebutcher wrote:i'm really unexperienced with this kind of issues... is it normal for an old BIOS not to detect at all (it simply hangs) a drive that is bigger than 8.4GB? i'm asking this because a lot of people keep telling me that their REALLY old mainboard/BIOS detects a big (>8G) HDD (sees it as a 8.4GB HDD though). do i have to worry about another problem? (i guess i'll find out this evening when i'll upgrade the BIOS...)
It depends on the code. The hanging behaviour stems from the fact that the BIOS will basically support HDDs up to 137GB (128GiB), but there were bugs at various times in the HDD detection, size calculation and size display routines that run during the power-on self test, which will cause it to hang. If you use a jumper on the drive or a special utility to limit the reported size to "32GB" (actually about 33.6 GB) it will detect it as 32GB.
codebutcher

thanx a lot. i will try setting that jumper to limit to 32G and see what happens first. this also means that what the mainboard manual says is plain BS (doesn't support HDD > 8.4GB). not unusual with taiwan though. they don't even know what they manufacture.
codebutcher

i updated the bios, and everything works fine. well, except the fact that windows (millennium) doesn't remember the DMA setting for the new HDD. this sucks 'cause when copying to/from the old HDD, everything freezes periodically for a few moments.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

You'll have to use the HDD manufacturer's utility to downgrade the UDMA to 33. It's a known AWARD bug. Once done, the DMA setting will "stick".
codebutcher

i will look for an utility to do that. since my excelstor io.40 is a ibm 120gxp clone, i will probably find it. i really doubt excelstor has such a thing on their website.
codebutcher

anyway, hard drive manufacturers should fix this problem. i know about ontrack disk manager, but it would cost more than my new HDD... IBM recommends you to buy it, that's crap.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... highlight=
If you find something that works for Excelstor, please tell us.
codebutcher

thanx again. i will check and see if any of those works. all the manufacturers seem to have a DMA setting utility, except IBM. i wonder why is that. they tell you to buy that f***ing ontrack drive manager (or a new computer perhaps).
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

codebutcher wrote:thanx again. i will check and see if any of those works. all the manufacturers seem to have a DMA setting utility, except IBM. i wonder why is that.
CHeck further down the page on the Hitachi Global Storage link - Disk Feature Tool 1.90 includes
Switch the Ultra DMA mode (replaces the IBMATASW utility)
codebutcher

ok, my fault. i would probably be searching with google right now if you wouldn't have told me that. btw, i submitted an upgrade request to esupport.com, and it costs 30$ or something. that's absolutely unbelievable, since i can't imagine someone who can't afford a newer computer paying that amount. to whoever made that (free) patch: great work.