Checksum error after @BIOS flash (with Gigabyte BX2000)

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
marm
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

the basics:

- BIOS-# ...-i440BX-8671-2A69KG0EC-00
- at powerup, the computer tells me I am using an AWARD-bios for BX2000.
- après wimsbios.com, the key tells me I own a GA6BXE

Gigabyte has newer versions than mine available for both IDs. Since I have a dual-bios device on the board, I tried both, too (using the @BIOS flasher utility under OS WinXP as I do not have a disk-drive).

Neither of them gives me a clean reboot. As a matter of fact I keep getting a checksum error and am asked to reflash. What I did so far, as I found no way to force the M/B to boot from the main instead of the recovery bios.

Can anyone please give me a hint - how to have the M/B read the new bios? Thanks you in advance

Chris
soupy
Absentee administrator

http://y2k.nstl.com/html/Giga_Byte_y2k_compliant.html

GA-6BXE
Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
An Energy Star Ally
Copyright © 1984-98
Intel 440BX AGP-PCI BIOS for Pentium ® II Processor v.2.10
08/27/1998-i440BX-8671-2A69KG0EC-00

GA-BX2000
Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG 1984-98,
Intel 440BX AGPSet BIOS for BX2000 v1.1
03/08/1999-i440BX-8671-2A69KG0EC-00

Looks like they use the same string, so your probably do have a BX-2000. Is there anything written on the board itself?
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
marm

Thanks for the fast reply!

No, nothing on the board itself. It seems to be a clone made for a so called PEACOK-business PC I once disembowelled.
Do you have any idea on whether every usual update with a dual bios would show such behaviour at power on after reboot? Or whether there are ways to force the dual bios to boot the newly flashed version?

Regards
Chris
soupy
Absentee administrator

So, after you flashed version F9 unsuccessfully, you used the BIOS utility to recover the main from backup, right? So you're back with both BIOSs at the original BIOS?

I'm thinking you're going to need to get a floppy and use the latest DOS-based flasher.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

The GA6BXE does not have Dual-Bios so it should be the BX2000+ .

The model number should be clearly marked between the PCI-Slots

Do you get a CMOS Checksum error or Bios ROM Checksum error ?
-> CMOS Checksumm error after Biosflash is normal - enter Bios and load Setup Defaults
marm

"How it all worked out" -
walkthrough without any guarantee:

1) Get the @BIOS tool from http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Fi ... a_bios.htm

2) Do a reboot.

2 1/2) For any board with the id 2A69KG0EC-00, the bios should give some information at starttime tight after power on: "AWARD MODULAR BIOS FOR <M/B name>". Write it down.

3) Enter dual bios by hitting F1 at starttime
Select:

- WIDE RANGE PROTECTION: DISABLED
- HALT ON BIOS DEFECTS: DISABLED
- AUTO RECOVERY: ENABLED

4) Save and reboot

5) Under your OS, start the @BIOS utitlity, select "Internet" as update method and your are likely to get several proposals for 2A69KG0EC-00.
IMPORTANT: although my board does not feature 2 ISA slots as described by Gigabyte's website for the BX2000, I trusted the info given after power on (cp. step 2 1/2) and chose the corresponding bios (now F9).

6) Flash

6 1/2) The tool reminds you to reboot - do not.

7) Power down the system (halt) as usual. Wait 30 seconds.

8) Power on again, switch immediately to the bios by hitting DEL and LOAD BIOSDEFAULTS. SAVE TO CMOS AND EXIT

This should give you a working, updated bios. If anything fails, restart, go to the dual bios menu (F1) and select BOOT FROM: RECOVERY BIOS or better START BIOS RECOVERY.

HTH. Thanks to soupy and Denniss for their quick replies, sorry for bothering altough it was just a matter of t&e.

With greetings from Munich/Germany
Chris