Change graphics in BIOS

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
shelton
New visitors - please read the rules.

Anybody knows how to create a new logo that displays full screen instead of a small icon on the monitor? How to maintain the graphic until the window OS takes over? Thanks.
soupy
Absentee administrator

Unless your BIOS already supports it, you can't do it.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
Toby B
Compaq-Fu Master

soupy wrote:Unless your BIOS already supports it, you can't do it.
ok what about using tools like modbin? Then would you be able to do it?
Compaq-Fu Master
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I suspect you have to add a module which does the full-screen display (use CBROM to add it in).
It should be fairly trivial (implementation is left as an exercise for the student) to display a screen, wait n seconds, then progress into the POST screen as normal.
Slightly fancier is to display the screen and then grab Int 10h to absorb the screen writes (assuming the POST uses the old Int 10H routines) and detect when to stop and display the config summary by looking for the block graphic character used for the top left corner of the config summary box; also handle keyboard input to look for a keypress to show the POST screen, or relinquish and go into CMOS set-up.... I'm surprised someone hasn't already done a general-purpose one on the web, so maybe I'm talking through my fundament.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
soupy
Absentee administrator

I'm not sure it's that simple. I remember eons ago reading on the Award website that full-screen logo BIOSs were available but that the BIOS needed to be specially modified. To what extent, they didn't say, but it would seem that if all that was needed was to add in a module, every manufacturer could just do it themselves.

But maybe I'm talking through my fundament. :D
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Some BIOSes already support the full screen logo.
However you can create your own module that will work in any BIOS (if there's enough free space).
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere