Bios ID: 51-0211-000000-00111111-071595-41E_43C-MS5182-T99-0

How-to identify your motherboard ?
JEN
BIOS Rookie

Can anyone tell me more about this Motherboard?
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
JEN
BIOS Rookie

Thanks

I was reading the doc file which came with the bios i downloaded. It says you have to get into the command prompt and start the bios update program.

What are you supposed to do if the computer keeps restarted before it can boot from any drive?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Where does it restart exactly ?

It might be possible there's a memory error - try only with one stick of SDRAM or with only one bank of EDO
Reduce FSB to 50MHz or the lowest possible
JEN
BIOS Rookie

When does it restart?

Well it seems to get through the boot memory test ok, and even displays a list of all the drives e.g.

primary master : seagate harddrive
secondary master : CD ROM Drive
etc

once the drives have been displayed it then restarts and does the exact same thing again.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

If the system was working before, and you're using Win9X or ME, then try FDISK /MBR with the boot diskette.
JEN
BIOS Rookie

ajzchips wrote:If the system was working before, and you're using Win9X or ME, then try FDISK /MBR with the boot diskette.
I need access to the command prompt to do that dont I. The computer restarts before getting that far.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Is the BIOS set to boot from floppy first?
JEN
BIOS Rookie

I have tried setting all the drives 1 by 1 as the first boot drive, but the computer does not continue long enough to boot from any drive. It restarts before it gets a chance to boot.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Tried clearing CMOS? Tried seeing whether you can access your floppy (just curiosity) having disconnected your IDE cables?
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I am suspecting a faulty main board, but would try:

* Removing all cards from the system temporarily, including video if the main board has on-board video.

* Then reseating RAM and video card several times; see then if any better.

* Maybe a bad RAM chip or bad video card. Try a spare known good RAM chip (remove all unnecessary ones temporarly) and a spare known good video card (if you can get hold of them).

* After this I would suspect a dead main board, after resetting BIOS as others suggest of-course (try removing battery overnight or something). I hear power supplies can be a common cause of system hardware problems but do not have a lot of power supply related problems myself.

Good Luck - I will be interested to hear of further developments on this topic.

PS: Although I will be surprised if it makes any difference, also disconnect your drives completely both from power, main board connector and drives while troubleshooting just in case. Then you can connect them one by one after (hopefully) solving this one and see if they make any difference.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I just had a look on MSI's web site to see what I could find out about this board. Socket 7 board, so possibly it is old enough to have developed a fault. Also noticed that a BIOS update corrects an issue related to entering BIOS setup with a USB keyboard.

If you by any chance have a USB kb installed, try a standard kb. I don't think you would be using a USB kb (on a Socket 7 system) so this being the case try changing to anouther known good kb anyway. Just in case your keyboard is faulty and is sending strange codes through to the system which are telling it or causing it to reboot. May be a key stuck error sequence sending a reboot code or something.
JEN
BIOS Rookie

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. However I cant try them out until the weekend. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again :)
JEN
BIOS Rookie

I have tried doing most of the things mentioned in the above thread, but nothing worked!

1. Reset BIOS
2. Tried different RAM
3. Removed all cards
4. Disconnected all drives
5. Disconnected keyboard + mouse

The only thing which made a difference was the FDD. When this was removed, instead of the system restarted at the point which it normally restarts. It froze instead ???

While the case was open I decided to remove the CPU and install it again. I noticed that there was no thermal past on the CPU. Its one of those AMDs with a heat spreader. Does it matter that there was no past on it?

The other thing is, I don’t have a spare graphics card so I didn’t disable the onboard graphics processor.

So, does this mean that the motherboard is dead?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

While the case was open I decided to remove the CPU and install it again. I noticed that there was no thermal past on the CPU. Its one of those AMDs with a heat spreader. Does it matter that there was no past on it?
Yes. Apply a very thin layer (you should almost be able to view through it) before attaching the heatsink/fan.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...