it is in a coma, but is still alive?

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
majk
New visitors - please read the rules.

Model: Gericom Masterpiece 2540 XL 01/03 (G730 M9)
Configuration: P4 2.5, I845, FSB400, 512MB, ATI M9 64MB, HDD40GB, FTT 15,1' 1024x768, Combo Toshiba, NO FLOPPY
Purchased: Mediamarkt Austria (Villach), 04/2003

Problem description:
Recenty I flashed wrong bios .rom file. System is working,
but graphic don't work at all. Can't get picture
on FTT panel, secondary monitor or TVout.
Can't switch to sec monitor or restore screen with keyb function buttons.
System is sucessfuly booting form a bootabile CDROM,
even Windows XP from hard drive (i can hear the sound
after XP has started)
POST message: before memory beep sound, i can hear one long beep and two short beeps.

I suspect that i flashed wrong bios for G730 with ATI M7, not for G730 with ATI M9
from this page: http://www.airis-computer.com/SoporteCP ... s/N370.asp

Solution:
=> I tried to reset CMOS data (first dip switch from left) under keyboard => sucessfuly, but didn't help
=> I removed battery for few hours => didn't help
=> I tried to flash another BIOS (from old Gericom FTP) G7301212.bam [Ref.NO:G730-020503-OT-] => failed
=> I tried to flash with ECS original BIOS from: https://www.ecstsd.com.tw/temp/Notebook.asp => failed

For flashing i was using bootable CDs, because i have no floppy.
I tried another method named "Crisdisk" (with paralel port key) for Phoenix bios emergency procedures,
but that failed too. I don't know where is the problem.

Crisdisk: (http://www.phoenix.com/resources/userman.pdf)

11.12.2002 19:54 524.288 BIOS.ROM >>>>>>>> tried with: G7301212.bam (Gericom), g7300421.bae (ECS)
29.05.2000 13:13 32.000 CRISBOOT.BIN
07.05.2002 14:04 19.762 CRISDISK.BAT
12.12.2001 08:38 12.803 MAKEBOOT.EXE
29.05.2000 13:13 2.688 MINIDOS.SYS
10.10.2001 20:16 75.296 PHLASH.EXE >>>>>>> from Gericom ftp
03.03.2002 22:17 1.182 PLATFORM.BIN
8 File(s) 668.019 bytes

I used instructions for making crisdisk and parallel port key form: http://www.charmed.com/PDF/jumptec-bios-update.pdf

=> I used latest version of phlash.exe and original platform.bin
=> platform.bin is equal (binary checked) in ECS, Andromeda and Gericom BIOS releases
=> Crisdisk CD is booting, but after few short beeps system halts and restarts
=> i suspect that system can't recognize old original bios and flash it back

=> I am from Croatia, and here is no Gericom service or distributer that can help me since my laptop is from Österich.
=> I am an advanced computer tehnician and I will understand any of your complicated instructions, since no one can help me here.

=> i know it is my fault and my warranty is useless now, but it is a good and expensive computer.

=> where can i find ORIGINAL release Gericom G730 M9 bios .rom file (perhaps you can send it to me by e-mail)
=> how to FORCE flash it back with (maybe automated boot disk) and where can I find it?
=> on gericom FTP there is no downloads for G730, why?

Thank you!
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Can you list the contents of crisdisk.bat ? I am wondering whether there are command line parameters (e.g /PF=BB or /MODE=3) which could help if phlash.exe thinks you are trying to flash the wrong BIOS.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
majk

That listed is crisdisk. It automatically runs phlash.exe after booting minidos.sys and default bios flashing file is bios.rom. As i know it is made for recovery procedures.
I tried another method, with normal boot disk and autoexec.bat with
many combinations of phlash, but nothing works.
Problem is that i have no graphic display so i must relay on beeps during
the flash. Phlash halts about 6 seconds after first beep. That means it has passed verification of platform.bin and bios.rom and problem begins when actual flashing is about to start. Maybe the eprom chip is bad?
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

If you can somehow get the correct VGA BIOS as a standalone file, you might try creating a COM file from it (there are some utilities for that). When you execute that, the VGA should be initialized and you should have display.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
majk

Gericom customer care sucks!
Today, they haved send me a wrong bios... like my notebook isn't well f***ed up already! And they say that i should replace motherboard for 480€! Can you imagine that? Warranty is one year, but it's worthless because it's my fault. I paid my notebook over 1400€ before six months and they have no drivers, bios or other support on their page... shameless!

Back to the problems ;-( now:
I downloaded ATI M9 BIOS for Dell Inspirion (it should work) and utility named rambios.exe for starting VGA bios, but it's not working (obviously i can't see why because screen is blank). Is there a universal VGABIOS?

I'm very good at electronics and I was thinking to make a EPROM flasher device, but bios.rom file that i have isn't suitable for flashing because only phlash.exe can transform it to binary data using platform.bin, is that correct? Same reason why uniflash is not working well with phoenix bios.
Can I buy somewhere a blank 39VF040 flash chip (PLCC package) and how much is it going to cost? If it is a chip failure...

At this point i haved bunred about 30 boot CDs, lost entire week of free time and almost all hope that my laptop is ever going to work again (for less than 500€ of course).