Dead AWARD mobo

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
paerley
New visitors - please read the rules.

<skip if you don't need to know why I broke it>

OK, I was being a fool and trying to tweak the boot graphic to get rid of the abnoxious redfox logo that my mobo came with. I finally found a faq, and after reading it, and about 20 others, I decided I could handle it.

I couldn't

</skip>

After flashing my bios, my PC gave me a series of bad sounding beeps which led me to believe the flash failed. I pulled out my trusy ISA Graphics card, popped it in, and pulled out all my other hardware. I found out about some bios boot thingy 1.0 . It was nice to see my PC again.

It seems to want to boot from a floppy, so I created a bootable dos 6.22 floppy with just my bios bin file and UNIflash on it. I set up an autoexec.bat file that would automagically reflash my bios, as per reccomended in the uniflash doc file. When I booted the first time, it said starting MS-DOS, then it just kept spinning the disk but doing no reads or writes. The next time, it said insert a valid system disk and when I checked my boot disk in another PC, the disk had been corrupted. I repeated these steps about 10 times with ever dos version I could find from 3.3 to the one win winme.

ANY help would be appreciated. I'm not brave enough to try the hot flash yet.

Pat
(I hope that's enough info)
soupy
Absentee administrator

Tried with AWDFLASH instead of uniflash?
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
paerley
New visitors - please read the rules.

yep
turned out that the floppy drive-fdcontroller pairing wasn't happy. swapped out my floppy drive for a crappy 2.88 mb mitsumi one that I could never get to work and it worked after like 6 tries. I'll never understand that.

Pat
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

next time, use a NEW floppy disk for things like this...