ethernet card (nic) to flash

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
odieto69
New visitors - please read the rules.

:idea: ive got a pcnet fast isa am79c971kc it has a plcc ive been lookin for utilities to write to it i got some info from http://www.etherboot.org/ and i noticed uniflash will write to a pci addy ive serched the forums here but noone seems to have used nics to fix a broken rom ??

this would seem like the catzazz of fixxxes is there any more info on this procedure that i overlooked

my bud fried his k7tpro2 ver:1 and i havent anything other than this nic that will accept his bios chip

so i wanna write k7t bios to the nic and then place it in mobo and X fingerz

i cant think of a reason if set correctly that this wouldnt work

well like i said if anyone has updated their bios with something other than a mobo I WANNA KNOW :twisted:
odieto69

im very suprised to see that either no one has any info on this or hasnt pointed out that its covered (somewhere in cyberspace)

id sure like to write a guide on how to revive your bios using an old network card and its PLCC writing abilities :roll:
odieto69

Many network adapters have a socket where a ROM chip can be installed. Etherboot is code that can be put in such a ROM

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ctflasher/
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

If you can put the mobo BIOS chip in the NIC it MAY work, but the system may not let you access it as it may have different pinouts and consequently you could even risk frying the chip, NIC or more.

If it does work I cannot see why you could not write the BIOS to the chip however you would have to be able to get past any warnings with the writing utility that say the BIOS is incorrect for the chip.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Get a similar board with the same bios chip and use the standard hotflash routine please.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Ger@ld
BIOS Rookie

Hello,

what kind of socklet do use the NIC? Small SMD (PLCC32) or DIL (Dual in Line)? When DIL, how many pins? 28 or 32 (both rows together)?
In case of DIL 28 (mostly used) you can forget it! :( DIL 28 socklet is only for EPROMs, what require a special programmer and UV-ray to erase the EPROM.
If you have locate a PLCC32 or DIL32 socklet, you can use a FLASH ROM, what you can hotflash with Uniflsh an a mainboard with the same socklet. The FLASH chips must not be the same model :lol: :lol: :lol:
You must replace the original BIOS chip before you start Uniflash - Uniflash must it detect and display.

bye, Gerald
odieto69

thanx for the replies finallt guys and Ger@ld if your read the post that started this you would have read that it was a plcc

im not lookin for people to say "do it on the mobo via hotflash"(but if i find a "like" mobo i will do it that way) im lookin for people who wish to make this work on other hardware if it turns out that its just a matter of telling a flash program where to write i dont think this is a big deal does anyone know of some utillities that would help for snoopin out the memory addresses of theese "on nic plcc" not such a problem in linux in fact im assured by some in the linux community that it would work using a recompiled version of uniflash or compiling a padded image straight to the chip as if it were being flashed take out of nic put in mobo *insert catch phrase here bobs your uncle*
so anyone ? any takers ?
i will help along this project as much as possible seeing as ive already done a shwack of hours worth of research on the subject
so once again and in plain english (hopefully)
in a way i want to give a nic bootrom program the wrong flashed info which would be the right flash for the mobo
IVE GOT A NIC ON PCI WITH PLCC I WANT TO WRITE A BIOS TO IT JUST AS I WOULD WRITE A NIC BOOTROM or BOOTSTRAP LOADER ET AL... :twisted:

I seriously thought there would be many more bites for this thread on this forum
odieto69

btw Ritchie i want more people with your mindset like why cant we do that as opposed to nope cant be done
reminder that this can be done ive found that much out now im trying to figure out how to do it with my novic3 programming skillz :twisted:
maman
Master Flasher

I've done pretty much thing on not so similar subject but still relevant to hacking expansion ROMs :D , and now I got Realtek 8139D with 32 pins boot rom socket. I have two spare 128 Kbit chips, harvested from very old mobo, I want to flash it, they are SST29EE010 and MX28F1000P, does anyone have try these chips, I mean with whatever flash program, how about uniflash ? rtflash is not working eventhough I've set the "window" for the boot rom chip to 128Kbyte