80GB: Gigabyte GA-BXC

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Would someone be able to download the two BIOSs from the link supplied below and see what the maximum HDD is that each will allow? (If I need to upgrade I would prefer to not use the beta. I also am not after a patched BIOS at this stage.)

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Sup ... A-6BXC.htm

I am expecting that F4C will have a limit at around 64GB, as is roughly what the site suggests. I don't know what the F3 BIOS supports.

Thanking in advance.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

F3 has 64GB bug, F4c is up to 128GB
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Thanks Rainbow. That is better news than I hoped for.

The system will probably have an 80GB drive installed onto it. Although as I already said I would prefer not to use the F4c beta release, it has probably been around long enough that it would no longer be available if there were big enough problems with it, or Gigabyte's web site would have made mentions that there were some known problems. However, I think that it is quite likely that the F4c has probably been around long enough to become official, except that because it is an ageing board the people who are responsible have probably not gotten around to listing it as such.

Thansk again.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Go ahead and use it Ritchie, I have never had problems with Gigabyte betas.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Thanks AJZ - Thats good news.

I think I actually upgraded the BIOS to F3 a while ago so I will try the drive on this BIOS first just in case it detects properly, and still only use the beta if required.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Just to report that before I installed the drive in the GA-BXC, I first tried detecting it on the Jetway 656-VXD board to see out of curiousity whether the BIOS would allow proper detection. It hung on detection, as did the GA-BXC board, when used with the default jumper setting (on a WD 80GB 8MB Cache).

When I updated the BIOS on the GA-BXC from release F3 to F4C, the machine detected the drive nicely. No running problems were identified so far as being perhaps due to the beta status of the F4C BIOS. F4C was installed with Uniflash and no mention is made in the POST screens of F4C being a beta BIOS.

Although the boards will probably not take advantage of it, I have used ATA66/100/133 cables.