40GB: 07/10/1998-i440LX-8679-2A69JT19C-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Denniss
BIOS Guru

If your Floppy still does not work please Clear CMOS and Load Setup Defaults in Bios then reapply all settings you need .
Is your HDD detected now ?
ramki
New visitors - please read the rules.

After updating the bios, it is able to recognize 40 gb hdd and I was able to use it as my primary hdd for booting the system. Thank you very much for the bios update.

I had cleared the cmos and loaded the defaults and also replaced my floppy drive and still it is giving the same problem. I will do the same exercise again and shall post my results tomorrow. I have even replaced the floppy drive cable. My only concern is that, in case of emergy I may need access to floppy drive.

Hdd is shown as UDMA mode 5 and the system is working fine. Do I need to change this to UDMA Mode 2 ? If it is so, Please let me know the procedure to convert.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Check for a "Floppy Mode 3" setting in the BIOS - it may not be present but if it is try disabling this if it is enabled.

Also, as you changed floppy drives, and it was working OK before, check the cabling to make sure nothing is reversed or misaligned. Especially at the drive end as this is where the point of reconnection was, but also at the mb end as it could have been pulled loose during the operation. Also, since you changed drives, are you sure the replacement drive is a known good drive?

If all this still fails, I wonder if the BIOS update may have some kind of bug in this area. I wouldn't think the UDMA bug (if present) would be interfering, however, shouldn't there be the option of setting this setting back using the BIOS itself as an alternative to using a HDD manufacturer utility?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Win9x is affected by the UDMA Bug as it needs the Bios Information to activate DMA/UDMA modes .
DMA checkbox should be disabled at every start until the activated UDMA mode matches the max chipset mode .
Don't know how Linux/NT/W2K/XP handle this .
ramki

I have cleared the cmos settings and loaded bios defaults, but still my floppy drive is not getting detected. Now, It is even not getting accessed from win 98.

If I set the 'Bios Features setup -> Bootup Floppy Seek: enabled', then the following message is getting displayed on intial bootup screen:
Floppy disk(s) fail (C0)

Floppy 3 mode support : disabled.

There was an option in my bios:
BIOS-> Integrated Preipherals
IDE Primary Master PIO: Auto|Mode 0|Mode 1|Mode 2|Mode 3|Mode 4
IDE Primary Slave PIO: Auto|Mode 0|Mode 1|Mode 2|Mode 3|Mode 4

Do my mother board has support till UDMA Mode 4? If so, do I need to convert UDMA of my HDD to mode 2 or mode 4? My Hdd is getting detected as LBA,UDMA 5, 40022 MB.

Thanks.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Are you sure that you have correct BIOS for your board? Is there anything printed on the board?
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

The "floppy disks fail" error message you now describe sounds common when I have a faulty floppy drive or a cabling problem.

Check your cables, especially if you have not already done so, making sure the connector is in securely at both the mobo and drive, making sure the connector is not reversed and making sure there are not misaligned pins. A row of misaligned pins may be easy to spot but pins mislaligned at either end of the connector are not always as obvious.

If the cable checks look good then test a floppy drive in another machine (take note of the direction of the ribbon cable), and once it checks ok try it on this machine (with the ribbon cable the same direction).

From what I remember a 40 is a cabling problem, so a C0 could be a drive problem.

I want to be sure you have checked these areas carefully as it does not sound to me like a bug in the BIOS, just a drive or cable or BIOS setting (also check the floppy setting in BIOS).
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I just looked through the history of this thread.

Apparently, after you flashed the wrong BIOS, the drive was working. Then you recovered the BIOS with the backup. Did you actually use the drive between the recovery and when you found the drive was not working. If not, the drive may have not been working after the recovery, which probably meant a BIOS setting at that time was the cause (assuming you made no cabling or hardware changes). Since then, you have flashed another update, so there could still be a setting that is incorrect. In addition, you have changed the floppy drive and the floppy drive cable, meaning it is possible the replacment cable is bad, or the replacement drive is bad, or the replacement cable is incorrectly installed.

So there are several possibilities. I would be reasonably sure that the BIOS image itself is OK. And the floppy drive controller on the board should be fine since you started with a good one.
ramki

I lost access to floppy drive after recovering from the bad bios update. When I got update from Denniss, I was unable to access my floppy drive. I updated the bios with the help of cdrw (I used cd for booting).

I will test the drive in another system and shall post the results. I have checked the cabling, it looks ok to me. There were no misaligned pins at both ends.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

I guess that you flashed wrong BIOS during the recovery. That's why I was asking if there are any markings printed on the board.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
ramki

After updating with wrong bios, I lost access to keyboard from its standard port. As keyboard was disabled, I could not even enter into the bios. I used USB keyboard and was able to get access over the bios. I have restored the bios with the original backup which i took. I used floppy drive for this entire process. After restoring the bios, I could use my normal keyboard (non usb keyboard). May be restoring process might have corrupted floppy drive program in bios. But, Ihave updated the bios with the one which I got it from denniss. I donot have any problem while detecting 40 gb hdd and also keyboard. I only lost access to floppy drive. I will post the markings on my bios in my next post.

Thanks.
Ramki.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Looking through the history of this thread, I agree with Rainbow - It is possible you flashed the wrong BIOS for the board.
ramki

Thanks for the updates.

I could finally detect the root cause for my floppy drive problem. It was due to the I/O conflict with ISA US Robotic modem. I have disabled com2 port in the bios and have configured ISA US Robotics modem in com2 port and IRQ 3. When I removed the ISA modem, my floppy drive started working. I could only think of I/O conflict with floppy drive.
Could anyone let me know what port and IRQ should be used for configuring ISA modem. Modem has a facility to set the com port and IRQ on the card itself (so that it will not conflict any other devices).

Thanks alot for all updates once again.

--Ramki.
The following is written on my bios chip:
Award
PCI/PNP 686
S/N 142602940 1998