Cannot access BIOS, getting error message about user.exe

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Ballantradoch
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello, I am new to this forum, I hope someone can help.

I have a problem with a Compaq Armada 1550MDT. There was a .dll error and I am getting an error message saying, "Error loading user.exe, reinstall Windows".

I went to do that and the laptop won't even read my CD Drive to reinstall windows. I wanted to change the BIOS to read my CD before my floppy or hard drive and I tired hitting F10 at bootup, but NO GO.

Any suggestions??? HELPPPPP!!!
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Are you sure the key to access your BIOS is F10? If not, have you tried other keys and key combinations, such as F2, DEL and CTRL+ALT+ESC?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

What version of Windows is this?

Can you verify that user.exe still exists on the target drive, and is the correct file size/date/etc...?? What was the .dll error?

I'm sure F10 has worked before (has it??), but I think there is another F-key that gets you into the Compaq BIOS as well...but I forget which it is at the moment.
Ballantradoch
New visitors - please read the rules.

The Windows version is 98, the original .dll error message was, "cannot load ddeml.dll" That came up 2-3 times will booting up.

I thought F10 was the proper one too but, nothing happens. I think I have to reload Windows but I can't get into the BIOS.....Richie can you find the right F key or suggest another way?

Thanks
Denniss
BIOS Guru

http://www.techadvice.com/w98/err_with/ddeml.htm

You may want to visit Compaq/HP website to get a manual for your computer .Usually the way into Bios is hidden inside the manual
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I don't know what the correct BIOS access key would be on a Compaq, let alone your machine - I was only guessing. But if I have other guesses or ideas I will let on.