BIOS INTEL to AMD?

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
i2nonot
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have 2 compaq MB`s one AMD ONE INTEL same bios. One with socket bios chip one thats hard wired to the board. Just for now I was wondering if the hard wire one can be removed and put in the socket? If they where the same chip # of course. More ? if this is doable thatnks to anyone who helps
Denniss
BIOS Guru

It is possible to desolder/remove the chip and use it as normal Flashrom if it's a standard Flashrom chip soldered-in and not a special version .
KachiWachi
The New Guy

If they are indeed the same BIOS, then yes, assuming they are the same (or comparible) PROM chips electrically. By this I mean same footprint, same pinout, and electrically compatible. The BIOS information can always be changed, if necessary.

You just need to be careful as you unsolder the chip from the board. Don't overheat it, make sure there are no shorted pins, and clean the solder from the legs so they don't hang up in the socket.
i2nonot
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have just 10 min. ago tried and did the desoldering of a Chip off old pc100 MB. And it apears that I can do that with out over heating the chip. (I am X auto body tech. with lots of metal and heat know how. And the paste for shrinking small golf ball sized dents with heat and just that spot getting hot works like it was made for The job of desoldering bios chips) SHARE THE POWER Now I will try to see if the FOOT PRINT is the same on the two I`m working on. If you could give more info on that it will be Power Shared thanks ( As in do you mean where the pins come out of the chip or what come out so to speak???
KachiWachi
The New Guy

To determine that, we would need to see the markings on the parts themselves (not on any stickers).

Please post them here.
sulbert
Master Flasher

I have used a sharp knife (or a razorblade) to remove flash chips that are soldered on the dead boards (that cannot be fixed anymore). No worries with overheating at all...