12V or 5V on the VPP pin????????????

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
nicolae788
Chip off the ol' block

Hello!
what happens if on the vpp pin instead of 5V i have 12V??????i have a good chip hot flashed with the last version avaible of the bios and i want to put it back in it's original MB MSI5184ver1.0 but it seems that i have 12V coming on the vpp pin connector???????
I am a litlle confused.Can this 12V erase the chip?????when i will replace it to the MB
Thank you and waiting for an answer.
Alex!!!
th
Legacy means reliability

Hi

5V chips (29C series) usually don´t use Pin 1 (Vpp) at all.
They generate what they need from Vcc.
This is true for Atmel, Winbond, ASD and SST chips.

If you can figure out the chip manufacturer (or post the inscriptions on the chip here) download the datasheet and confirm.

Bye
Thomas
286-16/NEAT Chipset/4 MB Mem/40 MB HDD/512kB Tridet/WfW
nicolae788
Chip off the ol' block

HI
well the chip it's a winbond W29C020-12.It is flashable at 5V ,i did flash it at 5V ,it works very fine,but as i said i am confused with the 12V on the vpp pin of the original MB.Since i suspect the MB as being faulty.I turn it on but nothing happens all i see it's a black screen ,no beeps no video no Hdd activity execept for intial startup no FDD activity...the reset feature works the jumpers are set corectly for the proc,everything it's corectly installed but it seems that the MB doesn't initialize.
I posted something on this on the 'my mb it's dead' if you want to see and i found out a few days ago that a transistor or something like that with two connectors soldered to the MB ,located to the right of the memory banks,it's overheating so much that the solder underneat it melts!!!!!!
I will change it with a known good one very soon and see the results....
In rest this is all and about the chip i do not know what to say wih that 12 V present on the VPP pin.
Thank you
Alex
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I have not tried different voltages on flash chips myself, but would think that most boards would have capability to set between the 5v and 12v which you are trying to sort out.

I would go about it by matching the mb voltage setting to the flash chip, if known. If the v of the flash chip is unknown, I would set mb to 5v, install chip thinking that a chip would not be damaged by an undervolt (I am no expert on this so at your own risk). If there are problems that seem to be associated with a flash chip undervolt I would then consider setting the voltage up to 12v, knowing that if I did so I may risk damaging the chip if the chip really was a 5v.

That is just my cautious approach - Hope it helps somehow or gives you some ideas at least.
nicolae788
Chip off the ol' block

Hi
Yes,thank you for your info but i discovered that the MB it's bad it has a component which it's not working.I will try to repair it with a friend of mine and therfore not paying anything because it's not worthing.Here in my country the labour costs 10$/hour for a MB repair whatever the cause.
and i paid only 2$ for the MB so you can figure it out why i do not want to pay...:)
Thank you again.
Alex.