80GB: ITE8671-2a69jv3qc-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
superlative
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi Guys,

I have a client's machine here and they have purchused an 80gb disk only to find that the bios hangs whilst detecting it. The board is an older octek mainboard and the latest offical bios (december 98) does not address the issue. There seem to be updated bios's for other ite8671 based boards just not this specific one.

I have crawled the web looking for a way of getting this thing working for the client and as yet have not found a newer bios or the same revision with a fix to allow for larger disks.

Failing an updated bios version turning up i could always advise the client to get an ide controller card and put the drive on that (but the client is a little tight with cash) so if i could get the bios that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance

Superlative.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Please post the 8-character code which you can find either in the manual (index) or on the mobo itself.

It should look like: 35-xxxx-xx
superlative

the code is 35-8854-01-01

it was sold as an octek mainboard 440lx
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

superlative

yes it is the LXb855 S. I have flashed the board with that bios. both the 1mbit and 2mbit versions. These are the bios's i was refering to made in 1998/99 that have the bug.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Now tell us which version you have (1Mbit or 2Mbit). You cannot have tried both.
superlative

i have tried both, i tried the 1mbit version and it flashed ok, i then tried the 2mbit version and it also flashed ok. The reason i did this was because the 2mbit version has a later date in the text file accompanying the .bin file.

awdflash let me flash it with either so i guess it is compatiable with the 2mbit version.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Did it boot OK after both ?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Please peel off the AWARD sticker from the BIOS chip and read what's on it. Then post it here.