40 GB: 01/19/1999-i440LX-W977TF-2A69JSMCC-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Soeron
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello can anybody help me on patching this bios version to use a 40GB hard disk?
thank you .
http://th2chips.host.sk/superpower/lxc-a6.zip
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Looking at it now...
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Check the "untested" link in my signature for (Superpower SP-LXC).zip in ten minutes. As usual, you flash at your own risk. Please let us know the result.
Soeron
New visitors - please read the rules.

I tested the BIOS ....
It boots up finds the HDD with some strange parameters but thats not a problem ....
When i try to install windows (any kind) it says i cannot format partition .
I can only browze the partions under linux and its slow and sometimes locks the PC.
Do u have any sugestions about this ? If u have can u share them with me . Thank you in advance .
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Sorry if I am making an obvious comment/suggestion but please ensure that after updating your BIOS you have entered into the BIOS Setup, loaded defaults, ran the drive detection options and saved, exited and rebooted.

Especially if you did not redetect the drives the strange parameters coming up could be from your old drive or someplace that does not match the actual parameters of your drive.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Soeron wrote:I tested the BIOS ....
It boots up finds the HDD with some strange parameters but thats not a problem ....
When i try to install windows (any kind) it says i cannot format partition .
I can only browze the partions under linux and its slow and sometimes locks the PC.
Do u have any sugestions about this ? If u have can u share them with me . Thank you in advance .
As Richie suggests, it could be a detection problem. Set auto/auto and try again. If this does not help, set the parameters manually (especially if your disk drive is Western Digital). What is the make/model of your disk drive ?

Another problem is DMA mode. Sometimes the BIOS detects that the drive can do UDMA Mode 4 or 5 (UDMA66, UDMA100) but the motherboard hardware cannot do this. This does not normally stop Windows installing until after the disk is formatted. You can set the maximum UDMA mode to 2 using the disk drive manufaturer's utilities.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Another pitfall: if it's a Western Digital and the only drive on the cable, set it for single drive mode, not master.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...