Flasher and data file name command

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
Klaus
New visitors - please read the rules.

At the a: prompt I get an *invalid command or file name* message when attempting to flash my bios. The flasher file is named *awdfl779.exe* and the data file *v370at13.bin*. I read somewhere that the command at the a: prompt should read *awdflash v370at13.bin*. With a space between the h and v. Am I doing something wrong? Thank you for your help.
Klaus
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

You should type "awdfl779 v370at13.bin"
Typing "awdflash" will get you nowhere, because you'd be trying to execute an inexistent file.

Regarding the space between "h" and "v" question, get yourself a very basic MSDOS manual, since it isn't the scope of this forum.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

If the name of your flash program is "awdfl779.exe" then your command line will be
"awdfl779 v370at13.bin"
as you are trying to run the flash program. In DOS mode, to run a program, you must use the name of the program.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Klaus

A big thank you to both of you for taking the time to help. I did manage to flash my bios and everything is working well. Unfortunately it did not solve the issue of the system only recognizing 32gig of my 60gig drive. I suppose in some instances it is impossible to teach an old motherboard new tricks. Again, thank you.
Klaus
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Is it this BIOS "11/24/1999-693-686-W977-2A6LGTJBC-00"? (Totem TM-VA370AT board). It should work with HDDs over 32GB - check your HDD jumpers - looks like you have 32GB clipping enabled!
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Klaus

Hi Rainbow.
The number sequence in your message match *excactly* what shows in my boot screen. Maybe its a good idea to admit at this point that I am at best a novice with this stuff. In any case as I remember it when I installed the drive I had to use two jumpers. One designating the drive as a master and another jumper putting a cylinder limitation on the thing. So after flashing the bios I removed the cylinder limitation jumper thinking that will give me use of all the space. It did not make a difference.
Klaus
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Have you set the HDD detection in BIOS to AUTO?
Klaus

Just checked, all drives are on auto. Discovered something interesting though. I run Windows XP. Under *Disk Management* it identifies the drive as Disk0 55.91gb. But it also shows the disk partitioned as follows, C: 31.49gb, Unallocated 24.42gb. The point being I never partitioned the drive. Also, when I right click on the unallocated partition there is no *Delete Partition* entry as there usually is. In other words I cannot just delete the unallocated partition.
Klaus
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

In other words I cannot just delete the unallocated partition.
Well, you can't delete what's not allocated. You should be able to create a partition in that unallocated space; then format it.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Klaus

Thank you everyone for your help and patience. With your help the problem got resolved. All is fine. Could have never done it without you.
Klaus