BIOS update won't finish

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
jjk454ss
New visitors - please read the rules.

OK, sorry if I haven't read enough, but I searched and searched and didn't find what I need.

I have an old Micron Comuter that won't shutdown correctly. I disabled the PnP BIOS, and then it shuts down, but other things are messed up so I don't want to leave it like that. I went to Micron's website, they have a serial number lookup tool, I used that, found the MB, and found the BIOS updates. ( http://support.mpccorp.com/apps/filelist.asp?ID=3112 ) There were three, from different dates. I tried the newest one, that didn't work, so I tried the oldest one, that didn't work. I starts to work, then stops, it says this and just stays there:

Loading FreeDOS....
ROOT FAT KERNAL GO!

I did just what I was supposed to as far as I can figure to made the boot disc. After that didn't work I tried the one from here:

downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=223

That one gives me this after starting:

(H48): Invalid reserved string in flash image header.

Flash Data found to be not valid.

flash unsuccesful

According to something I read here, Micron probably changed something to make only there update work? Any help would be much appreciated. I couldn't really figure out the flash tools on this site so I didn't try them.

This is the info I get when I start the computer that I think is relevant:

Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Copyright 1985-1997 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1996-1997 Intel Corporation.
4A3NT0X0.05A.0021.P06.9710101444

Intel Corporation AN430TX Motherboard
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

So is your board then the Intel AN430TX board, or a similar board from another manufacturer?

If it is the Intel AN430TX board, you can follow the following link, and when you download the BIOS from those pages you will get an executable file which when run will unzip a few files, including BIOSINSTR.TXT, which if followed carefully should update your BIOS. I recommend using a UPS in case of power loss. Also be careful to note that you have the correct image for your BIOS type - ie: according to AMI or Phoenix BIOS.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts ... bmit=Go%21
jjk454ss
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for the reply. The board is a similar board from a different manufacturer. I tried the update you posted and got the following message:

(H48): Invalid reserved string in flash image header.

Flash Data found to be not valid.

flash unsuccesful

Thanks for the help though. I beleive that I am going to have to find a Micron update for it.