weird possibly ACPI related problems

APM/ACPI BIOS questions
gondath
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an ECS KT600-A motherboard and am running XP professional. I have 512 megs of PC 2700 ram, an AMD 2200+ Thoroughbred processor, and a Ge Force FX 5200 graphics card. This board gives me no end of problems, which I didn't have using my old motherboard with slower Ram and a different processor but all other components the same. I get weird Internet Explorer errors where part of the side of the page isn't displayed and buttons and little icons take longer than they should to load. Some flat textures flicker in certain computer games when light hits them. the problems may all be related. I wouldn't know. Anyways, on to my power-related issue. My computer randomly restarts itself with no warning or messages at times, whether I am surfing the net, doing nothing, or playing a game. It's beginning to piss me off. I also have issues where the computer turns itself on after being shut down or restarts instead of shutting down at times. I've configured the bios the way it ought to be, with no wake events. I've upgraded all the drivers for my graphics card, motherboard, audio, and everything else. The only thing I haven't done is flash to a newer bios because the current versions are 1.a-e with seemingly only minor changes not related to any of my issues. I have version 1.0, by the way. The reason I believe some of it is power related is because on rare occaions I get a big fat blue screen error message saying the following: bios is not fully ACPI compliant // www.hardware-update.com press f7 to turn off ACPI during text mode setup press f7 when prompted to install storage drivers ***Stop 0x000000A5 I received that particular error after one of my other weird issues- sometimes my view resizes into a weird huge resolution that stretches far to the right of where I can see on the screen. I restarted and received that error message. My question is what am I supposed to do about it? My technical knowledge is this area is very limited.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Interesting that no-one has responded yet.

I am only guessing, but sounds like it might be either video card or main board or power supply. If you have or can borrow spares see what you can do just by experimenting a bit with trying different known good parts first.

The only other thing that comes to mind is if you just have a corrupt software install.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Sounds like software corruption. I have seen viruses cause random reboots and crashes. Maybe spyware infection as well.

I would get onto another PC where you can access the Internet normally, download the latest install programs for your antivirus, spyware and firewall.

Then back up anything you need off the problem PC. Then reformat and resintall Windows, and then install the antivirus, spyware and firewall BEFORE you let the PC access the Internet. As soon as you connect to the Internet download the latest updates and definition files for your antivirus and spyware; then do full scans before you install anything to make sure the software is clean. If the system now runs properly, make sure you update everything regularly.

If the above fails or has already failed, I would suspect a main board fault, or possibly a power supply problem.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Solved?