Old BIOS to replace trashed chip?

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
woodie
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi All,

I just managed to wreck my AMI BIOS...tried the floppy boot methods etc. but the floppy won't pick up. I have several older mobos with AMIs on but they're pentium based machines and my current is a socket A.

Any chance of my pulling one of the old chips putting it in the socket A board and using amiboot.rom method?

(Unless of course someone can shed light on the existing chip? Flashed from DOS not using floppy !!!DUH it was 2 am and I was clearly not thinking...at all! The system flashed ok then rebooted and does three beeps<which makes no sense. (done all the checks was fine before) The floppy was set to no boot seek before so I'm guessing that the BIOS is half wrecked and of course it won't initialize the floppy drive for me to try the amiboot method)

any help very much appreciated.....thanks
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Tried forcing floppy access by pressing CTRL-HOME?
woodie

Yeah..but it didn't work. I have read conflicting posts.some say to hold both down, others just on the first beep. Didn't seem to work on either but clarification would help. (The system and floppy were all fine minutes before the flash so I'm fairly certain that all the components are ok)

Just a thought... is it possible to build a cd that would do the same job as the amiboot.rom floppy?

Beeps are
Start Beep at system switch on
then two short and one long! <as I said makes no sense.

Thanks
woodie

Horaah! Fixed the swine (ECS K7S5A PRO) using uniflash and hotflash method on a crappy old daewoo board (<yeah you read right they only made a few thank goodness).

Just a note to first timers like me. When I replaced the chip back in the original motherboard I didn't quite push it home enough (Thought it might have to come out again) and although it seemed seated enough to test, it wasn't. When I started the machine it just kept doing an init on the drives and then restarting going round in circles. A slightly firmer push on the chip and all was well (I was gutted for a moment!).

Then I switched the machine off and finally pushed the chip all the way home.

Many thanks to the forum without whom I would have spent a load of money on a new board and all the time to set it up.....I'd still like to know if a boot from CD is possible and still don't get why the floppy drive refused to work for the AMIBOOT.ROM method?