120GB+: Iwill DVD266-R

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
harpBlues
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'm about to buy a new HDD for my computer and I would like to know if my BIOS would support larger capacity HDD (80 GB, 120 GB or larger) before buying one and realising it doesn't. Nor would I like to have to use Dynamic Disk Overlay drivers or add-on controller card if possible.
I've already mailed Iwill's tech support over a week ago, but received no replies and doubt I will (no pun intended) ever receive.
I've also flashed my BIOS in the past to solve an ACPI problem, to the latest BIOS at the moment, which is the latest there has ever been.
BIOS Agent output looks like this:

Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.41
BIOS Date: 05/03/01
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS ID: 05/03/2001-VT8633-8233-6A6LUI39C
OEM Sign-On: DVD266-R/34240A (May.09.2001)

Chipset: VIA 82C3091 rev 1
Superio: Winbond 627F/HF rev 7 found at port 2Eh
CPU: Intel Pentium III 733 Mhz MAX: 1500 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K

and this are the links to Iwill's support pages for my motherboard:

DVD266-R product details:
http://www.iwillusa.com/products/Produc ... .asp?vID=6

DVD266-R BIOS Updates:
http://www.iwillusa.com/supports/BIOS.a ... 26&Value=6

As you can see BIOS Agent output shows Award's BIOS to be v6.00PG, which to my awareness supports at least 120 GB (yes, I know this is somewhat dependent on motherboard manufacturer).

Last but not least, let me tell you i've also conducted research using Google and the search engine in this forum, to find a similar configuration,
with no positive results. Nor did I find any of the free "alternate" BIOS updates for my motherboard (does this show that there is no capacity barrier or maybe that there are few users of this board out there?)

Thanks in advance.

PS: my desired configuration for this HDDs would be PATA (not RAID).
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Our utility says "BIOS already supports HDDs over 32GB & 64GB" :)
harpBlues

What "utility" are you talking about? :?
Could you please provide a link to it? or maybe some explanation?
What about support for HDDs larger than 120 GB?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

One of the Wim's Associates, Rainbow, developed a utility to look for and patch the known bugs in many Award BIOSes that may prevent a BIOS with the Extended Int 13h HDD routines from getting past HDD detection and configuration display. Once these bugs are eliminated the BIOS should operate with HDDs up to 137GB. The utility is not available for general use, though there has been talk of a version which would do the detection. Another patcher has been produced by apple_rom, www.rom.by
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
harpBlues

Excuse me but I still find it hard to understand.

What you are telling me, is that if I have any BIOS problem with HDD recognition, you'll patch that BIOS for me, right?

Because I can't seem to be able to find any fixed BIOS for my mobo (Iwill DVD266-R) on any of the links you provided to Rainbow. :?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Why are you looking for a "fixed" BIOS if you haven't tested the latest official release yet?

"BIOS already supports HDDs over 32GB & 64GB", upto 128GB.

So limit yourself to a 120GB HDD, and you'll be ok.
harpBlues

For future reference:

I bought two 120 GB Seagate HDDs (ST3120022A) and they work with my system!!! :D

I still have to try them on a RAID configuration (there should be no problems with that), but everything is running smothly so far. 8)

Thank you guys!!!