Howto Hot-Swap

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Fonzie
New visitors - please read the rules.

First of all, this operation is extreemly dangerous so only do it if you really tried anyting else. In wurst case scenario you could waste up 2 mainboards (bios chips).

What do you need to know?
- You must have a working machine to do the hot swap.
- It does not have to be a board with the same brand or chipset, only the bios chip must be the same.
- I assume U all know how to do a normal flash, so get your stuff ready (bootdisk with flashprogram and the bios update, think about keyboard layout).
- Make sure there is no static electricity involved.
- Don't use the chip from the good board on your malfunctioning mainboard, only pull it out and afterwards put it back in!

How does it work?

- While the power is down, begin with pulling out your bad bios chip so you have an idea how dificult it is to take it out (ex: 32pin DIL). Mark it somwhere so you can tell witch chip is the bad one.

- The first time you pull out a chip from it's socket it is especialy difficult cause it sits in there verry tight. So you pull out the good chip too, but put it back in emediatly (check to see if no pins are bend in the operation).

- Make sure there is no autoexec.bat (or nothing in it to start a flashprogram automatically) on your bootdisk and boot your machine with the good bios, don't do anything else.

- Check your keyboard layout (azerty or qwerty), make sure it works fine or u know where the right keys are ;) .

DANGER
- Now go ahead and pull out the good chip and replace it with te bad one.
- Flash the bios like you normally would, but don't restart.
- After the flash successfully succeeded power down your machine (hold the powerbutton untill it shuts down or pull out power cord).

Power down
- Put the bios chips back on their orriginal mainboard, press them tight in the socket.

- Now you should be able to boot both pc's again.

- Don't shoot me if you screwed up both mainboards, u where warned :D .

Can someone check this out to see if I'm 100% correct here?
Maybe make it a sticky?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Forum listing:
My motherboard is dead
Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash. (FAQ #9 & 27)
i.e. www.wimsbios.com->FAQ-> #9
Topics:
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=509
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2454
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"