My Seagate ST380021A hard drive not recognized

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
jspal
New visitors - please read the rules.

I replaced the Controller board with the same Firmware level 3.19 and when I connect it to the IDE cable (the jumper is set on Cable Select) it is not recognized. I’ve connected it to the 1st and 2nd connector. When connected all other devices attached to the IDE controller (both Primary and Secondary) show as Unknown. The drive spins up and looks like the arm it is sitting at sector 1.

Can you advise me if there is anything more I can do?

John
creep

the problem is that you need to replace the board with one made in that day. on hdd's rarely is working a board (with the same firmware) from a hdd to another.... at this conclusion i reached, when i needed to replase a board from a maxtor to another.. maybe on seagate it would work.. i didn't try..
jspal

Ok...But when I attach the drive and the BIOS is configured for Auto check on for IDE detection, and It comes back with Unknown Drive. If I add it to a working system (PC) both drives say Unknown Drive. With out this Seagate drive it says the other drive is a Hard Drive and it shows the drive Mfg. and details.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Is the working PC expecting Cable Select or explicit Master/Slave jumper setting? Are you using a Cable Select (Blue/Grey/Black connectors) cable?

Have you tried using IDE_ID or a Seagate utility to try to get information from the controller?

Why did you replace the controller?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
jspal

The controller change was bad advice. The hard drive’s are set for cable select and the connectors are Black on the Seagate, Blue on the Maxtor and White on the Western Digital. I ran A Seagate utility but because the BIOS setup doesn’t detect the drive it doesn’t see it (Unknown Device) and no I don’t have access to IDE-ID.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I meant the connectors on the cable. Blue to the motherboard, grey to the slave and black to the master. Is this how you are connecting it?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
jspal

Sorry
Blue Motherboard
Black On HD 1 Maxtor 20MB and Gray HD 2 Seagate 80GB (Primary)
Gray on the Secondary

Because the BIOS IDE is not identifing the drive no utilities HELP.

How can I get the Drive to be ID'd :?:
Denniss
BIOS Guru

The blue connector on the cable end belongs to the motherboard connector, the black connector on the other end belongs to the drive configured either as MAster or Cable-Select (to be master). If you use Cable select then both drives have to be jumpered to cable select. If using Master/Slave make sure these settings are correct (pay attention to master with slave or Single-Master settings needed on some HDDs)