Tyan S2603 / HP x4000 MB

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
BadLieutenant
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi everyone

I require some assistance with flashing a Tyan S2603 Bios to a HP x4000 MB - they are the same MB just that the HP board has a custom Bios.
Initially I could not flash the Tyan Bios to the board - it would fail at 'Erasing block 1 of 8' using Phlash16 and WinPhlash. Eventually I managed to flash the Tyan Bios (flash HP Bios first, no restart, flash Tyan) but for some unexplainable reason it didn't work - in fact it was almost as if I'd flashed an incompatible Bios as the bootblock was screwed! :(

Well, I unsoldered the IC (SST49LF004A) and fitted a PLCC socket. Luckily I had made a Bios backup, so after cleaning-up the IC, I hotflashed the backup. Re-fitted the IC and all's good.

I just don't understand why the Tyan Bios, which is intended for this board, won't work. Do any of you guys have any ideas you can throw my way? I appreciate that this is my first post in this forum, but none the less, I'm an IT Freak who is willing to try almost anything to get this to work. :wink:

Thanking you in advance

BL
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Did you try to hotflash the Tyan bios to a empty EEPROM in some other board or flash it with generic flasher, and then insert the Tyan-EEPROM to your double-identity-board?