Maxtor DiamondMax Model 6B300R0 Size 300GB not recognized

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
smex
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi !

This is the disk that comes with the Maxtor OneTouch 300 GB external usb disk.
Now, what I orginally intended was to use this external disk as a media storage station formated with ext2/ext3 and share it on my LAN/wLAN with samba. However I found that this was not the best of ideas, due to the slow rate of the USB 1.0 connection (what was i thinking ?)

So, what I want to do now is to replace this disk with my 80 GB mp3 disk. Problem is - of course - that my BIOS does not seem to support disks this large.

Also, I had a problem similar to this a couple of years ago (with my 80 GB) --> http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... light=brio

The patched bios by ajzchips is the one I am currently using.

Could this be solved in a similar way ?

Thnx
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Unfortunately, the Brio BAX BIOS has not been updated and so maximum size supported is 137GB (128GiB) with the patched BIOS.
You could try:
1. installing a controller with its own BIOS that supports large HDDs
2. reducing the apparent size of the HDD using the manufacturer's or another tool (this wastes some of your HDD :cry: )
3. (maybe) setting the drive size manually in the BIOS to prevent autodetection, creating the first partition in the first 128GiB and allowing the OS to take care of the other partition. I mean to try this one day.
4. buying a replacement third-party BIOS (but 1. may be cheaper!)
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"