Dead Toshiba P35-S6292 Motherboard and BIOS?

How-to identify your motherboard ?
kedar
New visitors - please read the rules.

Can anyone tell me what my motherboard and the BIOS vendor? A BIOS update has caused the laptop to go dead! Powers on for 3-4 seconds and then nothing :-(

I have opened up the laptop to look for the BIOS chip, but I am afraid I can't locate it.

Other details: It's a Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz, has 2x512MB (PC2700 SODIMM), Atheros Wi-Fi/g, CPU heat-sink & fans(2), build in ethernet and modem.
On the laptop it says powered by ASUS, The mobo has ATI 9000 IGP.

Thank you very much for your anticipated response!
RobertR.
Master Flasher

A bios chip comes in many forms. The bios chip has a reflective sticker on it. The ones i know looks like a rectangle, a square, or integrated. If you have the integrated BIOS chip then your stuck with a broken laptop. But if you have a socket type BIOS chip then your safe. You can remove the in-socket BIOS chip by pulling it out with your hand, or prying it out with a flat head screwdriver (if you dont get a grip on it) VERY CAREFULLY .If you dont pull it out very carefully some legs will get stuck in the socket and then you will have a hard time taking the broken legs out.

I hope this helped you.

RobertR. :D
kedar

Robert: I looked at the mobo again and I do not see any chip with reflective sticker on it.

I did find a chip with a green sticker (paper) on it and the chip has all (fine) pins soldered to the mobo (~40) with a machine! Looks like I have a integrated BIOS ...

The mobo has HannStar (Make in China) written in couple of places.

The green sticker (which I peeled off) had this written on it:

============
EFQ00 1.00A

L/04.8.23

E512 U31
============
(Next to the chip on the mobo is U31 printed)

On the chip below it shows: (Chip is about .75cm x 2cm)
==========
SST 39VF080
70-4C-E1
0419036-J
==========

I have no idea if this is the BIOS chip, but giving you the info.

I am going to check if I can buy the mobo and use the CPU that I have from this mobo ...

Let me know your thoughts - thanks!
RobertR. wrote:A bios chip comes in many forms. The bios chip has a reflective sticker on it. The ones i know looks like a rectangle, a square, or integrated. If you have the integrated BIOS chip then your stuck with a broken laptop. But if you have a socket type BIOS chip then your safe. You can remove the in-socket BIOS chip by pulling it out with your hand, or prying it out with a flat head screwdriver (if you dont get a grip on it) VERY CAREFULLY .If you dont pull it out very carefully some legs will get stuck in the socket and then you will have a hard time taking the broken legs out.

I hope this helped you.

RobertR. :D
kedar

I used these instructions for disassembly. There are pics of the mobo ...

http://irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshi ... ting_2.htm
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

SST 39VF080 = 8Mbit flash chip so that's the one.

I wonder what bios you used for flashing this laptop, I bet it wasn't a Toshiba one.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
kedar

Thanks Edwin for identifying the BIOS. Who made this chip? Just curious, how did you figure it's 8Mbit?

As it happens, I didn't flash the BIOS myself ... I bought the laptop on ebay and it was flashed using Phoenix from Toshiba's site. My fault I didn't read the posting carefully, it did mention needs new BIOS :-(

Anyway, since the chip is soldered to the mobo (fine solder too!), is there any place that can replace the BIOS chip with the right BIOS from Toshiba? Else I am SOL ...