M559 BIOS - HDD >32GB

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Rabi_Doe
New visitors - please read the rules.

M559 board / Win98 / 64MB SIMM Ram
I'm trying to get a Bios Update for a Utron-F UT801X board (with Elpina mark on underside).
Problems with sound CM8330/HT1869v+ causing crashes, updated driver (so I thought) and problem getting by startup now. I intend uninstalling and using sp_W98.zip version from CMedia site, though I'd be tempted to try WDM version if it was compatible. (If I get it stabilised will update to 98SE straight away)
Current BIOS is AmiBios v2.5, date 12-15-97 (ID string gives original 071595 date) I took the sticker off the BIOS chip to reveal markings of:

H.T
M21792
T9752

- Bios has no option for making Floppy 1st Boot Device, also want to install Samsung SV4084H 40GB HDD but not sure which BIOS I need to have >8GB and >32Gb support. Current HDD is 2.1GB Seagate.
I have 5590228s.ROM (date 02/28/98) from PcChips site; http://www.pcchipsusa.com/support-discontinued-bios.asp

also 5590123s.bin (Unknown date);

and 990225-65.ROM - ReadMe states "Final Eval for HolTek HT6552 I/O chipset. Bios supports Cyrix MII 266/300 cpu"
The Link to the pcchips ftp site (from another post) for this one wont allow logging in to access.
I also need to be sure of which AmiFlash Util to use - 634.com is closest to original dates 10-5-1998 but I have 807.exe (14-1-1999) and a couple more recent.

Any ideas or suggestions. Particularly for which Flasher, booting from floppy, and Large HDD - though I have Disk Manager if necessary.
Thanks for all assistance offered, getting desperate now...

Rab
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/pcchips/58 ... ex5xx.html

Try getting the BIOS there...

Use AMIFLASH 6.32, 6.33 or 6.34
Rabi_Doe

I've downloaded the v65 from that site - I'm sure it's more reliable than some of Driverguide.com's offerings.
Do you happen to know what additional functionality it has? Bigger HDD capacity eg.?

Anyone up on the CM8330 issues? My last attempt was with v2.0 - 30W98ver20.zip, which didn't sort it. As I said I think I'll use the 30W98v64 while I have Win98 installed, at least.

Thanks again
Rabi

PS. I visited the AJZ site a couple of times but it appears to be out of commission.. hope you get enough donations to keep it going :D
..maybe when I'm better dressed..
Rabi_Doe

Sorry for the long delay replying, I've been offline for a while.
The BIOS v65 worked fine, apart from having a 32GB limit on HDDs. I still managed ok using the Drive Overlay software to install the 40GB Samsung ok. Now at least having Floppy as 1st BootDevice is possible, and much more control over BIOS settings.
I installed 98se on the new drive and kept the small one for backup.
The soundcard from c-media (8330) had to go as it was causing most of the operating problems; also upgraded the modem to a 56k from 33k, and the system was working sweetly, given the cpu speed is only a PR200.

One drawback left is the inability to use USB, unfortunately, as most modern peripherals will only work with usb. Trying to get Tiscali to provide a Broadband Modem with an Ethernet connection on it instead of the usb only one has proven fruitless, so it's more expense for the kid's mom to get her own modem/router. So much for bargains.

I wondered if any PCI IDE cards came with a usb chip that could be added in? Yes I know it's unlikely, but you never know until you ask.

Thanks very much for your help. Very appreciated.

Rabi