09/10/96-i43ovx-ali5123-2a59ga1ac-om

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
ANAKONDA9
New visitors - please read the rules.

Award Modular bios... I have 2 100 gig HD that I'm unable to access entirly I'm sure I need my bois upgraded but not sure what upgrade I need can someone lead me in the right direction... thanx

09/10/96-i430vx-ali5123-2a59ga1ac-om
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Look like an Abit PR5 with a very old Bios. We have the latest version patched to support HDD up to 128/137GB

http://wims.rainbow-software.org/

You may neet Uniflash to update your Bios, Award Flashprog might complain because the last two digits of your Bios-ID are different in the new Bios (used as Bios version identifyer by Abit).
ANAKONDA9

Denniss I flashed my bios with PR5CN128 AND I lost my floppy disk drivers.. I can't boot from floppy anymore and my systems still doesn't read my 100GB HDD.... any suggestions as to how to boot my sustem and have award bios updater replace my old bios... HELP!!!!
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Clear CMOS and load Setup Defaults in Bios.

Does HDD detection hang or is it not detected at all or only detected with 32GB ?

Do you really have a PR5 ?
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I take it you have updated your BIOS but have now lost floppy boot capability.

In many cases what Denniss is suggesting will result in a default setting for the floppy drive that specifies Drive A as 1.44MB and this works. If you still have floppy problems after following Denniss's suggestion you may need to look through your BIOS setup and check the setting manually. In an AWARD BIOS this is probably under Standard CMOS Setup and you should ensure that Drive A is set to 1.44MB 3.5" and that Drive B is set to None. This works nicely with most floppy hardware configurations. Also, if you see a setting for Floppy Mode 3 support then disable this.

Most probably you cannot boot from the floppy because the floppy setting in the BIOS is incorrect after the BIOS update. If you still have problems after what Denniss suggested and the above then your floppy is probably installed correctly but you may need to check the boot sequence or boot order setting in the BIOS setup.
ANAKONDA9

Guys everything you suggested worked just fine.. I removed cmos battery for a few hrs and when I reset cmos I regained floppy.. Thank you.. Yes I do have a PR5 board and the 128 HDD patch workes fine for Win 2000.. If I try to load WINME or 98SE the OS only seems to read 29MB of an 100GB HDD... Do I need to do something speical for WINME/98SE for it to read 100GB HDD?

Thanks for all you help guys..
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Win98Se has a BUG in FDSI, only showing capacity over 64GB, thus a 100 Gb should be displayed as ~30GB HDD, partitioning withpercentage of tatal instead of GB/MB works fine. There should be an update FDISK somewhere, try a google search to find it.
WinME FDISK should support 100GB without problems.

There may be one problem: If you partitioned and formatted your drive in Win2000 using NTFS the older Win9x OS are not able to read this file system.