Searching BIOS Microcode for AMD GEODE 1700 NX - CPU.

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

I'm searching for a Microcode Update for a AMD GEODE 1700 NX - CPU.
I tried to extract it from a bios from a board that supports this cpu-type (like tyan tomcat, pcchips m811 & m838, ashrock k7s41), but all programms i used (amibcp, amimmtools, cbrom, ctmc) did not found any microcodes in this bioses.

I would like to update the bios of the MicroStar MS-6353. Is there perhaps a board that is identical in construction and with a bios that supports the geode cpus?

Thanks for any suggestions

:cry:

Was this question so stupid, or is here nobody wo can help me solvig this problem?!?!

Is my approach to extract a microcode from a boad-bios that supports this cpu type in general correct?

If yes, why does include my tested bios-update files no microcodes?

Please help...
maman
Master Flasher

IIRC AMD Processor do not use any microcodes at all (all flavors of Athlon, maybe K6x too). The functionality of microcodes is replaced by writing "something" directly to the MSR(Machine Specific Register). I don't really sure if Geode is using microcodes. Geode was made by the previous CPU design team who were working on Centaur/IDT cpus.

Download the Geode Datasheet, it's free and have a look at it to ensure about this microcode stuff.

goodluck,
--a.k.a pinczakko
Borg Number One
Master Flasher

Hi Maman,

also AMD processors have microcodes!
BIOS backup - Multi BIOS - prevent a BIOS update failure:
RD1 BIOS Savior

http://www.ioss.com.tw

Borg Number One wrote:Hi Maman,

So could it be possible to update my bios, that a Geode NX CPU will work?
maman
Master Flasher

Borg Number One wrote:Hi Maman,

yes, you're right. I was thinking about the different microcode update mechanism when I was replying :wink: .

I've been working with Geode LX BIOS a year ago. It was modified Award 4.50PGNM BIOS. But, I don't remember if one of it's BIOS module is a microcode update :(.
maman
Master Flasher

after looking up the old Geode LX BIOS binary that I've been working on (it's based on Award BIOS v4.5), it seems that the "microcode" is buried deep in the system BIOS binary (original.tmp) since there is no separate microcode files in the Geode LX binary. Thus, it's very possible that the modification that you are targeting at is overwhelming enough to be carried-out :(