Need bios

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Dacso
New visitors - please read the rules.

I need the 3.14 bios for the A8AE-LE motherboard in a Compaq Presario sr1710nx computer.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

email HP tech support. Somebody has been playing tricks on their download server and quite a few files got MIA. This bios and the previous version (3.13) being one of them. They have a severe problem on their hands.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Dacso

I'll try that when it's up and running, but i don't believe they've made 3.14 available to the general public. I was hoping someone already had it and could email it to me. Thanks
jkimrey

Dacso,

If you get it, would you please PM me? I'm also looking for it!

Thanks!
Dacso wrote:I'll try that when it's up and running, but i don't believe they've made 3.14 available to the general public. I was hoping someone already had it and could email it to me. Thanks
Dacso

If i can get it i will gladly send to anyone who wants it.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I've seen a message about a 314.rom file and bflash.exe being around so I know it exists. It's a matter of finding it now.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Dacso

Someone has it here, they're just not sharing.
jkimrey

Well, I DO know someone who's not sharing - Compaq.

They won't send me the file; they keep requesting that I mail in the PC for them to repair.

If they have a 3.14, why wouldn't they put it out there and let me try it first??

Dacso wrote:Someone has it here, they're just not sharing.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

They either want a controlled environment, or they also need to fix some hardware before the new bios will stick.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

jkimrey

Edwin,

If it were you, would you go ahead and mail it in or wait a couple days to try to find the 3.14 file?

Not sure what's the best thing to do at this point....
edwin wrote:They either want a controlled environment, or they also need to fix some hardware before the new bios will stick.
Dacso

I'd be happy to try it right now. Anything would be better having my computer use 80% of my processor at idle.
Dacso

I chatted up tech support at HP about the 3.14 bios update they said it was not for the A8AE-LE and that the 3.13 bios was the only one for this board. My problem with this board is the high cpu utilization at idle even with all windows services and startup programs disabled including in safe mode. I decided to format the hard drive and install a copy of windows xp on it to see if the high cpu utilization was a function of the bios and not Compaq's software. After the install cpu utilization is 0 to 2% at idle and it seems twice as fast. I did have to collect some of the drivers for the board and i went to ATI's site and downloaded the Catalyst drivers, display, gart and southbridge but not the Catalyst control center. So it appears to me that the high cpu problem is because of software running in the background not the bios.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

maybe the 3.14 has a hidden bug and they retracted it. Has happened before.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

70mustang

HP tech support doesn't know what it's talking about. My sr1834nx shipped with 3.14 and flashing to 3.13 broke it, causing the same symptoms as described here. I sent them an email describing the problem and urging them to investigate but I doubt they will listen. Nothing is going to happen until a real engineer or c.s. guy looks at the problem.

I have the files so pm me your e-mail address and I'll send a copy. Just make sure you know what your doing when you flash. It's not a self installing file like 3.13 is.

Perry
Dacso

I formatted my hard drive, flashed the 3.14 bios ( thanks Perry), reinstalled the 10 recovery discs and voila, no more high cpu utilization just normal 0-2%. What the hell is wrong with HP that they won't give out the 3.14 bios?

Dan