Bio problem and missing file

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
gotex
New visitors - please read the rules.

Ok I'm running Windows Xp pro sp2 and a day ago i got this error with a blue background saying windows encountered a serious error and my comp restarted. I couldn't read the whole thing because it only flashes for about a second. When My computer booted back up it said that my floppy drive failed to load press f1 to continue so I did, well windows booted back up and said "windows has recovered from a serious error" but then about 30 min later the error came back up. SO I system restored. For about an hour that worked. After I got the error again I shut down my comp and opened it up, I noticed the fan on my graphics card wasn't spinning it was broken. SO I replaced it and the new one works just fine. I thought that had fixed the issue so I reversed the effects of system restore. Then about 3 hours later I get the error again. This time after restart and boot up another error came up and said "cannot boot windows file WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM is corrupted or missing" I don't have recovery disk. so I couldn't just recover. Thats the first problem. The second problem has to do with my bios. When I go into my bio settings from boot up I try to change the boot order but it wont let me the options aren't highlighted. so I cant set the boot order. I've also tried to just reformat but I got the message that it cant detect a "hard disk drive". So im just wandering if there is an answer to this so maybe I can get closer to getting my comp working again. Tank you
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

How old is this system, what brand/model is it?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
gotex
New visitors - please read the rules.

mmm its only about a 1-2 years old the hard drive is a hitachi. I fixed my bios problem I pulled out The battery on my mother bored because i was thinking maybe a virus flashed my bios Im not sure if that was correct but after 10 min i put the battery back in and i was able to get into and set boot priority again. I still get that same message that when I try to recover it says it doesn't detect any hard disk drive. MMM the hard drive runs off of sata if that helps. Once in bios I made sure it was on auto detect and what not but it didn't detect it. After the memory test and it tells you what drives are detected antother screen pops up before the one that says boot from disk. This screen apperently tells me what I have connected threw sata. Im thinking maybe if i had the drivers floppy disk i can get windows to detect it again then maybe i could recover but I cant find a place where I could d/l the driver. Is a Hitachi Deskstar SATA 160GB HDT722525DLA380
cp
BIOS Guru

you did get it: the windows installer doesn't know about the sata controller. you have to get the drivers for it and copy them to a floppy disk (there are approaches that add usb/sata support by altering the windows xp installation cd however). if windows setup asks for additional 3rd party scsi drivers () hit F6 (it was F6, was it?). insert your floppy disk and load the sata drivers. your sata hdds should now be available for windows xp setup.

btw. regarding your problem: sounds if it might be heat related. check the cpu fan and cooler, too. if there's a heat conducting pad on the cooler replacing it with thermal grease might help. but please don't touch anything there if you're unexperienced..