80GB: FIC PT-2006 pcb 2.2

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Dukers
New visitors - please read the rules.

I already updated to latest official BIOS (8.077J801) but I'm still stuck with 32GB limitation. HDD autodetection freezes if disk size is greater than 32GB. I need to put 32GB cap limit jumper to use the disk.

The disk is Samsung SP0802N.

BIOS file:
ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bios/s ... 77j801.awd

Code: Select all

Program:   eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.66
BIOS Date: 02/22/99
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID:   02/22/99-i430VX-2A59GF09C
OEM Sign-On: Version 8.077J801
Chipset:   Intel Triton 430VX rev 2
Superio:   Winbond 877F (use 87h) rev 0 found at port 3F0h
CPU:       P54C 99 MHz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Unknown
BIOS ROM Size:      Unknown
Memory Installed:   31 MB
Memory Maximum:     Unknown
ACPI Revision:      Unknown
Neither tested nor untested patched BIOSes list have this model.

Thanks.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

we'll have a go at it. allow some days for delivery it's busy at my end, sorry.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Dukers

First, thank you for your work!

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I took some pictures to show what happens.

HDD configured as "AUTO":

ImageImage

and... freezes here:

ImageImage

If I go to the Setup's HDD autodetection, freezes again:

ImageImage
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Please list complete set of hardware used. I suspect something else is making trouble in there. Is this a new disk and was it tested in another system for proper operation?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Denniss
BIOS Guru

I'd say it's a buggy Bios code. The 32GB Bug could be patched but the 64GB bug not, neither by Rainbow's utility nor by the rom.by patcher.
As per the Bios copyright notice visible in your screen FIC used a 1996 core Bios to patch the 8GB+ support in but shows users a 1999 release date.
cp
BIOS Guru

which OS are you using? is there a capacity limiting jumper on the HDD? if so: use it! install the OS in the BIOS detected space. you can still use the rest once the OS is running (at least with Linux, Windows 2000/XP or later)

i (still) don't see the need to patch those old buggy bioses. almost everyone is using resonable operating systems nowadays which bypass most of the BIOS information (for good). frankly i don't give a nmad about what the BIOS detects as long as the OS gets loaded. if it's up there's nothing more to worry about.

luckly Windows 98/ME or even earlier OSes are vanishing quickly. and for those who really need them: there are still so much used small HDDs out there that noone needs anymore. alternative: use CF-cards and a CF2IDE adapter. they behave very much like IDE HDDs from the BIOS point of view.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
Dukers

edwin wrote:Please list complete set of hardware used. I suspect something else is making trouble in there. Is this a new disk and was it tested in another system for proper operation?
This motherboard, a 2MB old S3 PCI video card, Pentium 100 processor, 4x8MB EDO (tested with Memtest86) and the HD! The HD isn't brand new, but is running fine. I was using it in another machine.

Denniss wrote:I'd say it's a buggy Bios code. The 32GB Bug could be patched but the 64GB bug not, neither by Rainbow's utility nor by the rom.by patcher.
As per the Bios copyright notice visible in your screen FIC used a 1996 core Bios to patch the 8GB+ support in but shows users a 1999 release date.
You are probably right.
cp wrote:which OS are you using? is there a capacity limiting jumper on the HDD? if so: use it! install the OS in the BIOS detected space. you can still use the rest once the OS is running (at least with Linux, Windows 2000/XP or later)

i (still) don't see the need to patch those old buggy bioses. almost everyone is using resonable operating systems nowadays which bypass most of the BIOS information (for good). frankly i don't give a nmad about what the BIOS detects as long as the OS gets loaded. if it's up there's nothing more to worry about.

luckly Windows 98/ME or even earlier OSes are vanishing quickly. and for those who really need them: there are still so much used small HDDs out there that noone needs anymore. alternative: use CF-cards and a CF2IDE adapter. they behave very much like IDE HDDs from the BIOS point of view.
My plan is put a small Linux distribution (Debian netinst). I know if I put 32GB cap limit and put Debian root partition into the espace detected by BIOS, the kernel will recognize the space left, which I can use to create a /home partition or something like that. But is nice to see all disk detected.. hhehehe

Thanks anyway folks!
cp
BIOS Guru

My plan is put a small Linux distribution (Debian netinst).
i like debian :) i'd use 20MB /boot, 2xphysical ram /swap and the rest for /
But is nice to see all disk detected.. hhehehe
i wouldn't mind if the bios would detect my HDDs as 20MB ;)
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.